Mid East MI, IN, OH, KY, WV, VA

Michigan people lend an eye?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 PM

Michigan people lend an eye?

I am moving from TX to MI this summer after graduation to work for GM, specifically in Milford. Naturally I have been looking at houses and came across my "perfect" setup for what I wanted, garage space, and PRICE. Question is, why so cheap? Am I missing something? Similar houses, in way worse condition are way higher in other spots around Milford. Extra sets of eyes from those familiar with the territory would be very helpful.

Address Not Disclosed | Trulia.com
Old 01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Banned

At this point, it has been on the market for ~5 months.. Perhaps it is because of length of time that it is cheap, and that is the sellers bottom line.

As well, the ceiling by the front window looks like it has some discoloration, maybe roof problems there?

The Over/Under Washer Dryer has its wash cycle drain in the sink adjacent.

The man cave looks like it's been well weathered, and isn't perfect for the average home owner.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Kind of looks like a manufactured home to me with a garage added on. Or as we call them down here. A trailer. If so, then usually not as much money as a real house.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 PM

That's exactly what it is, a manufactured home. But even has a manufactured home, with the sqft/beds/baths/yard/garage it is cheaper than I imagined. There are some without garages for ~50's but with equal space and amenities. But I vowed when i bought a house, garage was a must...spent my whole college career without one and I hate(d) it.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

If you are already committed to GM Milford, contact the HR department and explain your situation. Ask if they can provide any in-site or recommend someone that can.

Many people that work at Milford live in a close proximity. However, if they have worked for GM for any appreciable time they have much larger and expensive homes. If I remember correctly, the area is a "hodge podge" of construction. Pockets of homes in the neighborhood of $400K to $500K (some even larger, especially on bodies of water that are managed well). Some areas, as the home you are looking at, in the $50K to $90K category. Some areas in between. It's essentially a rural area and borders several townships, towns, villages, etc. with varying zoning requirements, thus the pockets of less expensive manufactured homes and trailers.

Being rural, winter snow fall is a consideration. Snow removal is almost non existent except in the business areas of the "metro" areas. As a Texas guy you probably are not accustom to that dilemma, but you could get use to it.

I remember a time when I was assigned to Milford for a month period. I lodged at a place in W. Bloomfield and it took over an hour to drive 25-30 miles......and I'm from Michigan originally.

Good Luck...with your house hunting and the new job.

Oh and forgot to say....in the grand scope of home sales, being on the market for 5 months is not long. But it's a manufactured home and I believe that an FHA or VA loan would not be available, thus the $16000 down and or 20% issue....it's a bank/private financing. But check on that, it's been some time since I have been in the housing market, and new laws and requirements have been passed.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 PM

Thank you for the insight, nice to hear from someone with experience with the lay of the land. There is a much closer home, but my want for a garage is overshadowing that. Even so, the South Lyon house is 'only' 12 miles out of work. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 AM

I live in Brighton (next town southwest of Milford), and can agree with most of what you have heard. One thing that could have an impact if you are buying is, property taxes are quite a bit less outside of Oakland County. That helped us decide years ago on Livingston County.

I am now used to long commutes, having worked for GM in Warren for years, so my tolerance for them may not be typical... However, the drive to Milford is 15 minutes, and I don't have to get on a highway.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Thank you for the insight!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 PM

It is in a park so you will have some sort of lot rent I believe
good luck with the search and the new job!!