Mods - Engine/Exhaust EngineCompartment/Exhaust Discussions. (Non-Performace)

Exhaust visual

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Here you go

08 HHR SS straight pipe with Borla tip - YouTube
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I went Magnaflow, purchased it used from another member here who either sold his HHR or didn't like the sound, but I like it so recycling that muffler worked out for both of us!!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor
No hang down and the tip looks perfect!

I watched a few videos and magnaflows seem to sound like fast & furious mufflers on these cars. Gonna have to search more later.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by CokeZero

I watched a few videos and magnaflows seem to sound like fast & furious mufflers on these cars. Gonna have to search more later.
If you run the Magnaflow without the resonator it's pretty loud and does have that Fast and the Furious ricer sound...I like that though since my car is setup to be more sport rather than hot rod. The $500 Magnaflow system that is made for our wagons (cat-back) is pretty quiet...several members here have it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CokeZero

Thanks man yeah I'm happy with the way it ended up
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Word of caution here.
If you do a muffler delete with just a chrome tip, you will probably get that dreaded highway cruise speed "drone" sound.
I tried it and couldn't stand the buzzing drone in my ears.

I went back with a small replacement muffler. A lot smaller than the stock one.

Attachment 16217

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Word of caution here.
If you do a muffler delete with just a chrome tip, you will probably get that dreaded highway cruise speed "drone" sound.
I tried it and couldn't stand the buzzing drone in my ears.

I went back with a small replacement muffler. A lot smaller than the stock one.

Attachment 16217
I don't think it's that bad. I have an automatic. Would that make a difference as far as sound and drone? I think the drone on my old magnaflow muffler was worse. It could just be all in my head idk. I've always wanted to try flowmaster but I'm afraid of spending more money on mufflers. I've gone through 3 of em and only the delete has seems to sound good. The eBay canister muffler I had had a nice sounds but it looked like crap and the chrome finished turned yellow in about 3 weeks.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor
I don't think it's that bad. I have an automatic. Would that make a difference as far as sound and drone? I think the drone on my old magnaflow muffler was worse. It could just be all in my head idk. I've always wanted to try flowmaster but I'm afraid of spending more money on mufflers. I've gone through 3 of em and only the delete has seems to sound good. The eBay canister muffler I had had a nice sounds but it looked like crap and the chrome finished turned yellow in about 3 weeks.
Could be a difference between the auto and 5 speed. I know my 5 speed is hitting 2800 rpms at 70 mph. Maybe it's more "drone prone" because of the rpm range it's at ? Not sure.

The drone wasn't the only reason I went back with a muffler. I didn't think it sounded that bad either, until my wife made a comment. She stated it sounded "crappy" when I drove away from the house.
Said it sounded either broken or like one of those "ricer" cars.
That comment was enough for me to go back with a muffler.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

You usually get what you pay for. The Flowmasters that Fireman and I used actually have some technology involved, not to mention the dual cool casings. Been running them a couple years, took a peek under there and they look and sound brand new. I tried the cheep ebay course the first time, and that is exactly how it turned out, crappy.

I plan on one more mod to the exhaust, will be switching the resonator to the new ZZP high flow resonator, thought their new design looks good to me.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
You usually get what you pay for. The Flowmasters that Fireman and I used actually have some technology involved, not to mention the dual cool casings. Been running them a couple years, took a peek under there and they look and sound brand new. I tried the cheep ebay course the first time, and that is exactly how it turned out, crappy.

I plan on one more mod to the exhaust, will be switching the resonator to the new ZZP high flow resonator, thought their new design looks good to me.
I'm looking at those now. What change would that do if say I add it with my straight pipe. Would it tame the sound more?

Quick Reply: Exhaust visual