Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM

This is on my 'to do' list for this summer. I'm putting in my EBC Red brake pads and vented rotors tomorrow. Next is the shocks & struts. Then the mirror.... =)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM

Someone, anyone?

Has anyone else done the Muth signal/heated mirrors or am I still the only one, four years later?

Doctuh / Harlan
Old 11-21-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
Hi Harlan,

Yes, I am familiar with that mirror as Velvac is one of our customers. I don't believe it is one we can put a SignalŽ feature into because of the design...

I can have our tech review the HHR mirror to see if it's possible to "cheat" the SignalŽ feature down to where it would be fully visible with the spotter mirror installed. I'll advise you once the review is complete.

Sincerely,
Chris Wedge
Aftermarket Sales Manager

---------------------------------------

Hi Chris,

I believe that beginning about 2010, at least some HHRs came with a "spotter" mirror. This is a quasi-rectangular blind spot mirror that fits in the upper left corner of the driver-side outside mirror. A company called Velvac sells such a mirror as a stick-on retrofit and it's described and pictured on the following web page, as well as in their catalog: News | Velvac Their mirror costs about $30 delivered, and is functionally equivalent to an inexpensive, generic circular convex mirror, except its upper and outside edges are the same shape as the external curve of the factory side mirror glass so it's a flush fit. Your blind spot mirrors are not vehicle-specific, but rather are circular in shape like the cheap ones, though yours include the signal technology. I doubt it would be practical for you to produce a rectangular blind-spot convex signal mirror shaped specifically for the HHR, but I wanted you to be aware that this non-heated, non-signal, custom-shaped adhesive mirror exists.
I just recently tried to order these blind spot mirrors from a vendor that claimed to carry them. Unfortunately, it seems they only list items that they order themselves from other vendors then ship out to the customer. I was initially given a back order notice after the fact even though it was listed in stock. The time they gave after that was 3-4 weeks. Well, over five weeks later I still have squat and it's cold as hell making putting them on the mirrors almost pointless to try. I contacted them today only to be told that Velvac now has a set in stock and I would still need to wait until Velvac shipped to them in order for them to ship to me. WTSH!?! Time to file a Paypal claim before time runs out I suppose. Talk about a jacked up way to run a business.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Velvac Mirros

Originally Posted by Sileny Jizda
I just recently tried to order these blind spot mirrors from a vendor that claimed to carry them. Unfortunately, it seems they only list items that they order themselves from other vendors then ship out to the customer. I was initially given a back order notice after the fact even though it was listed in stock. The time they gave after that was 3-4 weeks. Well, over five weeks later I still have squat and it's cold as hell making putting them on the mirrors almost pointless to try. I contacted them today only to be told that Velvac now has a set in stock and I would still need to wait until Velvac shipped to them in order for them to ship to me. WTSH!?! Time to file a Paypal claim before time runs out I suppose. Talk about a jacked up way to run a business.
I suggest you purchase directly from Velvac if all you want is their driver-side convex blind spot mirror. Such a mirror is unneeded on the passenger side because the factory mirror already is convex. If you want heated signal mirrors like I have (which are wonderful but pricey), then Muth can get a "spotter" mirror from Velvac and include it with the rest of their custom kit.

Harlan / Doctuh
Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 PM

Your mirror setup would be awesome. You are right though it is out of my price range for now though. My wife has one eye vision and needs all the help she can get seeing around the HHR and behind it. I'm also looking for a rear camera option as well. Last time she told me she felt "comfortable" driving a car she gouged the ever loving heck out of the rear fender on her Pontiac Sunfire with a mailbox. She still swears to this day that she had plenty of room. LoL I think the car begs to differ though.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
I suggest you purchase directly from Velvac if all you want is their driver-side convex blind spot mirror. Such a mirror is unneeded on the passenger side because the factory mirror already is convex. If you want heated signal mirrors like I have (which are wonderful but pricey), then Muth can get a "spotter" mirror from Velvac and include it with the rest of their custom kit.

Harlan / Doctuh
Doctuh has the right idea for the VelVac's. I purchased mine directly from VelVav and really like them...be lost without them. I even have a spare set in case for some odd reason one comes off and I lose it.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 PM

I emailed them a few weeks back but still haven't got anything back from them. It seems that has been my luck as of late trying to get in contact with anyone. I'll try later after the holidays maybe.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Technical Moderator

How about just typing "velvac.com" into a browser address bar?

When I did; it seems to say they don't sell directly, but they do have a "where to buy" tab. Seems like any RV dealer could hook you up.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:52 AM

They Still Work after almost TEN YEARS!

I received email about a new response on this old thread. I'm the one who actually had the conversion completed. All functions of both heated signal mirrors still work perfectly. Even the extra noise in my door after the installation eventually disappeared on its own. My driver's side mirror wobbles a bit when I go over a bump. I was told this was because I pushed the mirror back into position with my fingers rather than using its electric controls. The wobble hasn't gotten any worse in 8-10 years as never pushed the mirror with my fingers again. As the custom heated/signal mirror would have to be removed from its mount to repair the wobble and would probably break, I have left it alone. There haven't been any recent comments on availability of either the "spotter mirror" (rectangular convex mirror in the upper left on the driver's side) or anyone contacting Muth to purchase another conversion kit. I did all improvements to my HHR fairly soon after I bought it, so I would be able to enjoy them longer. My only failure was an early LED headlight kit which I didn't realize deleted my high beams and made me fail safety inspection. I had that conversion reversed. Frankly, the halogens (adjusted properly) work well enough that I never tried again with better LED kits offered later. In 2017, I was faced with $3000 repairs (suspension parts the second time around, AC compressor, and replacement radio due to defective function of the accessory jack). This was close to its "actual cash value." Considering all my successful customizations and the high cost of replacement, I had the work done. I guessed right - no other major repairs have been needed since then. My HHR still runs perfectly at 13 years old and 160k miles. I remain the only owner, to my knowledge, who ever had heated signal mirrors installed. Is there anything new relevant to this thread?
Harlan J. Weiss, MD
Shreveport, LA
Old 12-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Good to see you had great service with your HHR. I had two of the panel versions. I eventually needed something bigger so I bought a 2011 Terrain with the Ecotech four. Here it is already 2020 and it's still going strong. I sure would like another HHR for fun.