Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

HHR SS Front Grille

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
I was told it does fit and ordered one from Chevy. I has came in and been painted and they are going to install it Tuesday.
I guess I will know then.......
be sure to post pics!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It WILL FIT.....if you do a little modding.

As stated the SS bumper is relieved for the extra inch or so, of the SS grill height. But the only thing preventing the SS grill from fitting is some impact foam behind the plastic bumper cover. Once the foam is relieved the bumper cover is flexible enough to allow the grill to fit. If you spend time and do it right, it would look great.

I know cause, I did done seed it already. And might have mine done....but I want it in chrome...real black chrome.
If it fits it`s going to look like hell plus wear the paint off the top of the bumper cover.It is 1 1/2" longer thats a lot to ask the non SS cover to drop down and not cause problems.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
If it fits it`s going to look like hell plus wear the paint off the top of the bumper cover.It is 1 1/2" longer thats a lot to ask the non SS cover to drop down and not cause problems.
Agreed, unless you are going to notch the cover on the non SS.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM

HHR SS Chevrolet Grill

I got the grill in today and it is not a simple bolt on as it is about 1 inch taller than the stock one. It could probably be modified to work but I am just going to sell it for best offer. Cost $377 and I put it on EBay for a Buy it Now of $310 with free shipping and minimum bid of $275 in case anyone is interested. Since it was a special order and painted to match (Summitt White) then I am stuck with it. The grill does look really nice though too bad it is not a simple bolt on.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Curly,

If Chevy told you it would fit and it did not they should give your money back.

JMO
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM

I agree, If they told me it would fit, then they would own a new grill, not me
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Just a thought that hit me today. I was thinking about the grille an trying to make it work. Two options if your brave. Can you cut the bottom of the grille off and move it up to the size of the regular HHR grille? Cut is and epoxy it back together. I also have seen, just Sunday on a car show, they make a plastic welder. It heats up the surrounding plastic and adds some from a stick. Kinda like tig welding. Just a idea.
Second thought, why not just do a full on SS front conversion? You'd be the only one running around. Get the bunmper, fog lights, and make it work. Maybe it is all bolt on, maybe it will need a little modding. But what a turnout it would be. If your dead set on selling the grille and don't get a offer good enough on e-bay let me know. Maybe I'll take it off your hands if the money is laying around here.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 AM

HHR SS Grill

I am not brave, I will not cut the bumper or grill to match but it looks like it could possibly be done. Under the plastic on the front bumper is some sort of plastic padding that could be cut out. You might be able to make it look good or maybe not. I am not going to take the chance. I am going to cut my losess and sell it for what I can.
The mechanic there said you can raise up the hood latch a little and it will fit but you will not have a small straight gap on the hood. I am not doing that or cutting the plastic in the bumper.
The grill did look really nice on there though but does not fit like I want it to.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 AM

You wouldn't have to cut your losses if you would of listened to us.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Cutting losses

Originally Posted by chadpuska
You wouldn't have to cut your losses if you would of listened to us.
Well I ordered it long before this thread came up. I had asked in one of the other threads (not sure if it was on this forum or the other?) if it would work and nobody knew. The general concensus then was we thought it would work. Hindsight is 20/20 and no we know it will not fit with out modifications or bumper change.
Anyway it is up on EBay for a Buy it Now Price of $310, I will keep relisteing it at $25 lower each time until somebody takes it. Sooner or later someone will want it just depends on where the price meets what they are willing to pay for it and if they are willing to take the chance of someone else getting it first. I have had a bunch of people interested but it is still on there. It will go but the question is how much$? Obviously I would like to get back as much of my money as possible but regardless it will sell.

Quick Reply: HHR SS Front Grille