Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Hubcap Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 PM

Hubcap Idea

Hey forum,

I've been thinking about Ideas for rims and I know if I want the looks I need to "do it right" but with all the payments I have with school I would rather not get into the whole purchasing rims, purchasing lug nuts, and paying for labor. I found out how pricey that was with my truck. I have been thinking of just sticking with hubcaps but changing the looks. I have the 5 star styled steelies btw.

The first Idea is the 1st picture below. I believe they are meant to be a mimic of the stock, just in an Ice black color. I do like the chrome ones but I feel black will give it a nice stance and bring out the chrome accents I have throughout my car.

The second idea is the 2nd picture. They are 16" smoothie moon hubcaps made of steel with a chrome finish. I like the smoothie look to the HHR's I have seen on this forum and I feel they would save me alot of time cleaning my wheels.
I would like to hear your opinions and if you think I should just keep the mirror finished stock hubcaps then it wont hurt my feelings

-Christopher
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Most cost effective!....paint your steelies, any colour you like, gloss black, ok! Flat or Matt black , cool!! Me, well I like red!
Attached Thumbnails Hubcap Idea-image.jpeg  
Old 01-02-2016, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Most cost effective!....paint your steelies, any colour you like, gloss black, ok! Flat or Matt black , cool!! Me, well I like red!
Thanks for your reply Oldblue. Your always here for the help! The only thing is I have the 5 star patterned Steelies. the steelies you have are fairly cheap I could get a pair for a cheap price but in Pennsylvania, salt kills our cars here so I would have to get them powder coated or painted.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:10 AM
Deceased

The HHR 5-Spoke Steelies have always reminded me of the '70-'74 Old Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, 4-4-2 Rallye Rims. As seen below...

How about a two-tone black and silver paint job on your 5-Spokers there 2.0, they might look pretty cool, especially with some chromed trim rings.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
The HHR 5-Spoke Steelies have always reminded me of the '70-'74 Old Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, 4-4-2 Rallye Rims. As seen below...

How about a two-tone black and silver paint job on your 5-Spokers there 2.0, they might look pretty cool, especially with some chromed trim rings.
Woah. They look really nice and would match up well. sounds like a great Idea. I will look into it and see how costly it is.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Powder coating is just electrostatic applied paint! But rattle can colour coat and clear coat, stand up well to salt and sand , our roads are smothered in both all winter long!!
These are power coated
Attached Thumbnails Hubcap Idea-image.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Another option you might consider is the full Moon Disc's...like they used at Bonneville, etc.

I had the ZR1 5-spoke wheels on my Corvette, then later I bought the Moon Discs and drilled the wheels to accept them (They were bolt on's) Depending on your wheel size they can be snap on or bolt on. You can lower your HHR to ad to the look, etc...I think they'd look great, have been considering them for my Panel too.

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/SearchRes...&Submit=SEARCH
Old 01-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Administrator

I'm digging those Starburst screw ons , $60.00 each.
I remember some discussion awhile back about someone losing one or two of his clip on moons, Blindlizard mentions it in this thread...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...r-53032/page2/

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-03-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I'm digging those Starburst screw ons , $60.00 each.
I remember some discussion awhile back about someone losing one or two of his clip on moons

The bolt on ones can be tricky...you got to grind a spot of chrome off before you drill (I used a dremel tool), and then if the wheels are alloy the metal is a bit soft so it's easy to strip the threads if you bolt/unbolt to often but it does make a really different look.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Apparently these won't fit the five spoke steelies,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appe...hubcaps-18025/

Quick Reply: Hubcap Idea