Mods - Exterior Discussion related to the looks of the exterior of the HHR.

Tail Light Mod, wondering if this would work...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Administrator

I don't see enough room for adding an extra bulb!
I have thought about the same idea of four tails ant it has been done before , look at the third picture down , the backup lights in the reflectors,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/clas...el-sale-53390/

this member did an awesome job, he did the blue dots in the picture of my HHR
Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM

You may be right and there "isn't" room for and additional bulb in the housing, just an idea I had. I'm going to take a closer look when I get a chance to tear into my HHR and see how much clearance there is in the actual rear fender area as well.

Another idea, drill a hole in the housing and glue one of these on the "outside" of the housing (again, this would only work if there is room in the rear fender area where the housing bolts into the vehicle).
Attached Thumbnails Tail Light Mod, wondering if this would work...-led_running_light.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2015, 11:02 AM

Personally, I think of you are just wanting the 4 tails, just pick up another set of the top lights. Then you can set up some sort of backup light in the bumper reflector area.

I think if you try and attach a light to the lens, it's going to look "cheap".
Old 10-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Deceased

He's wanting to do a mod that mimics the "Three Mode" Cadillac taillamps of the early 60's, the lower section was clear.

But when you turned on the headlights it glowed red, when you hit the brakes it was a brake light, but when you popped it into reverse...hey presto! It's a backup light.

60's Caddy's did have some of the coolest features in their time, including Automatic Climate Control, Self Dimming High Beams(Autronic Eye), Power Everything, and style out the wazoo.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:11 PM

Solman98: Your right, I'd like to have a bit more "red glow" at night, and maybe when it's all said and done, that's what I ultimately end up doing. I'm just playing around with a few possible options b4 I decide to go that direction...

843De: you are "exactly" right. My buddy has a 1966 caddy that doe this, AND he has a 1975 Buick Electra that does it as well.

"60's Caddy's did have some of the coolest features in their time, including Automatic Climate Control, Self Dimming High Beams(Autronic Eye), Power Everything, and style out the wazoo."

I agree, they had the "cool factor" going for them....

Anyway, would be nice if I could pull off the cool, "surprise" factor in my HHR.... we'll see....
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2015, 03:56 PM

I am sure I have seen someone on here add backup lights to the red reflectors in the rear bumper. You would run the wires for the backup lights down from their current location. My thought process says that shouldnt be hard.
Then rewire the current back up socket to be like the upper one and put a red bulb in it? That would give you the all red you are looking for.

At least my thought process says it should work. I have been wrong before though. Just ask my wife.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 AM

When you add up all the time taken to mod the lights the ICPW's look like a great deal!
Old 10-30-2015, 01:38 AM
Deceased

Shoot Art, you're right, I "spaced" on Buick's Three Mode lights on the mid 70's Electra and Centurion models.

Alas age and senility strike again.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Shoot Art, you're right, I "spaced" on Buick's Three Mode lights on the mid 70's Electra and Centurion models.

Alas age and senility strike again.
Was the Centurion one of those rebadged "Canada only" models? I think I've seen them before at some car shows....
Old 10-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Administrator

I saw a Toyota pickup yesterday the lower tail light is clear lights up yellow for turn signal and white for backup, so clear lens with whatever colour bulbs you can stuff in will work!
VinceP click on my post link 08 for sale it was Boydie who did the backup lights in the bumper reflectors, and most likely more!
CorvetteMongo has a LED light on his license plate mount and four red tails.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Mod, wondering if this would work...