Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Interior lights (mods??)

Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 PM

Interior lights (mods??)

WOW I spent the last three hours looking through tons of articles here.
But haven't found what I am looking for - Not saying it's not here - just saying in three hours I haven't found anything covering it.

I see LOTS of writings on interior modifications - but what I wanting to know is about "lights" for the window switched on the center console.
I bought the car used and these have never illuminated; nor do I know if they are supposed to.
Lights all down the waterfall from top all the way down to the switch for the rear window washer all illuminate for ease to find them at night.
SO I guess I need to know - are the buttons below that for the windows SUPPOSED(??) to light up - or do we just fumble around trying to find them in the dark.
SO I guess I first need to know if these are supposed to light up at night - OR if they don't light up; what are some good ways people have gone about being able to see (find) them in the dark.
I've read lots tonight about tying into other wires etc etc. Not sure I could do all that (unless someone could point me to a step by step process) but first things first.
THANKS
THANKS for any help.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Technical Moderator

The LED in the headliner illuminates the switches.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

A 20 second search gave me this- https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...me-light-6035/
Post #3 in that thread.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 10-21-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

... Which leads to the last post in that thread FMG posted, an article about adding backlighting to the buttons - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-buttons-1878/
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 AM

yeah I saw that one - I spent three hours looking at various writings on interior lighting here.
Naturally with a post titled DOME LIGHT no one would think to read for info about WINDOW background illumination lighting.... but I see after you read a few lines down it does say what I was asking. It's just not a logical place to look.

SO here is my different question I suppose - I see there is a very TINY little light that comes on above the shifter. Surely that little tiny light isn't intended to produce enough light to see the window buttons.... hell mine don't even light up enough to know it's there. What kind of genius thought that light would be of any benefit at all for anything. SO I'm still trying to figure out how to see my window buttons. hhuummm
I am guessing I'll have to add some sort of light. Maybe I can tie into the light over the shifter to supply the power; but It'd be better to find one lower down in the car since the lights will be near the floor.
Currently from where the button for the rear window wiper (on the waterfall) on down is basically pitch black at night. You have to 'feel' for everything. It's annoying and just not a good situation to be in for driving.
Guess I'll go back to searching to see if someone has posted what wires I can tie into to add lights to the interior. I'm sure it's been done LOTS of ways; but I want mine to only be on when that little dome light is on. Basically on when driving and shuts off when you turn off the key and open the door. I'd just have to find a way to know WHICH wire I need to tie into.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Thanks whopper - I see you posted above while I was writing - NOT exactly sure thats the way I'd want to go - but it's an option.

SEEMS to me the problem I am having is a topic starts off with one heading; and then it gets off track or points you to someplace else... that and the fact that so many of the posts are so old that many of the pics don't show any more.
I know I was looking for some LED lights for interior and there was a big issue about them glowing when off; they needed a resistor; etc. Someone posted "I got these and they don't glow and don't need a resistor" - And the link to the pic was dead. Just very frustrating after looking hours for answers and then you have it and then..... nothing
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Technical Moderator

Mood light is NOT the same as dome light. The mood light is already a LED, direct replacement 5mm , as pointed out in post #9 of the same thread.

Adding a resistor to an LED is a really old thing, as long as LEDs have existed. The package the LED comes in probably has directions. Many come with the resistor already installed.

Most people complain about "that stupid light in the headliner", not that it is not bright enough.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM

"mood light" is that what they call that tiny little light - well ok.
But that's the only light I have above my shifter and it produces practically zero light..... Do some cars have another light up there next to the mood light. Mine has the buttons for the sun roof; the mood light and a 'circle' type indentation where it looks like on some cars a light might be on some models....
Old 10-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Technical Moderator

My 2011 had a dome light with map lights instead of the mood light and map lights on the mirror. They moved the window switches to the door in 2009 (with backlighting).
Old 10-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Yeah - mines an '07. Just the opposite.
Map lights on mirror; mood light up above, and no dome light except way back in the cargo area.
You mentioned they moved the window buttons and back lit them.
I don't suppose they ever changed the mirror buttons and back lit them did they?
Be nice to be able to see them at night. I'm getting older and my eyes are getting worse so everything easier to find the better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior lights (mods??)