Mods - Interior Discussion related to the looks of the interior of the HHR.

Will a RPD cluster work in place of the stock ss cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 AM

Question Will a RPD cluster work in place of the stock ss cluster?

I have a 2009 Panel SS can the RPD insturment cluster be bought at the chevrolet dealership and installed in place of the stock SS instrument cluster and everything work like its supposed to.I am assuming that the wiring harnesses are the same the cars just have diffrent options all help would be appreciated THANKS

Last edited by MIKEY 406; 02-09-2012 at 04:38 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

If I'm reading your post correct, I think you don't understand the placement of the RPD.
The RPD mounts in the cubbyhole(glovebox) at the top center of the dash. It does not replace the instrument panel. All SS's come with the same instrument cluster with or without the RPD.
Not sure if it would be a direct plug in, but I would assume it is. Can it be purchased at the dealer? Probably, if it is still available. Call them and ask.
If you are looking to do this have you considered aftermarket options such as Aeroforce or others. They would be more versatile than the RPD.
I have the RPD.It is nice but a very basic unit. If it ever goes out I would most likely upgrade to a better gauge package.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Funny but the only photo of my RPD is this "enhanced" one.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

Ha Ha that's s pretty high top speed, looks like your old digital guage still works too. I have had mine for 16 years still working.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If I'm reading your post correct, I think you don't understand the placement of the RPD.
The RPD mounts in the cubbyhole(glovebox) at the top center of the dash. It does not replace the instrument panel. All SS's come with the same instrument cluster with or without the RPD.
Not sure if it would be a direct plug in, but I would assume it is. Can it be purchased at the dealer? Probably, if it is still available. Call them and ask.
If you are looking to do this have you considered aftermarket options such as Aeroforce or others. They would be more versatile than the RPD.
I have the RPD.It is nice but a very basic unit. If it ever goes out I would most likely upgrade to a better gauge package.
Cool thanks i have never seen one so i didnt know i have just seen people talk about it on here and read about it in the owners manual i thought it went in place of the instrument panel.I am going to call to see if i can get one from our local dealer and see how much it is.If they can get one i am going to price shop then to get the best deal i can between factory and after market.THANKS AGAIN
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the picture and all information.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Cool thanks i have never seen one so i didnt know i have just seen people talk about it on here and read about it in the owners manual i thought it went in place of the instrument panel.I am going to call to see if i can get one from our local dealer and see how much it is.If they can get one i am going to price shop then to get the best deal i can between factory and after market.THANKS AGAIN
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM

The car will not start without the RPD if it came stock. Something to do with it being part of the car's LAN. I have heard of cobalt guys adding it after the fact though.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm,nice to know that. So there must be a way to bypass it,if need be. I say must be,because the SS's that came without it,are able to run.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

I heard the RPD can show afr. Is this true?

Quick Reply: Will a RPD cluster work in place of the stock ss cluster?