North East PA, NY, NJ, DE, MD, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME

GM Futurliner - Possible Eastern Get-Together

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 PM

GM Futurliner - Possible Eastern Get-Together

I am a member of the Chautauqua Region AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) and we are having our annual Dunkirk automotive swap meet on Friday May 21st and Saturday the 22nd. The event features well over 100 vendors selling new and old car parts and accessories and covers several acres. It's always a fun couple of days and you can find some of the best things you'd ever want for cars.

This year we are bringing in a fabulous attraction - the GM Futurliner, which was developed by General Motors in 1949. There were 12 of them made and they went across the country plugging GM. It was called the "Parade of Progress". Humm....wasn't that about the time of the introduction of the Suburban?

Anyway, there are only 9 known to exist and this one has had a 1.6 million dollar facelift. We are lucky to have it coming our way and it's an exciting attraction for our visitors.

It would make an excellent venue for a GTG for Ohio/Michigan guys and gals or NY/PA/Canada people. We are located one hour West of Buffalo and 1 1/2 hours East of Cleveland, just off Route 90. Admission is free - and parking is very reasonable.

I'm attaching a link to the Futurliner website.

http://www.futurliner.com/index.html
Andy
Attached Images   

Last edited by AJochum; 01-13-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 PM

So where is the actual location of the Swap Meet? Dunkirk New York?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Yes, sorry - Dunkirk. If anyone has every attended Canfield, Ohio I understand it's about the same size. Takes about a day to get through the field, but most stay for a couple of days. Coker Tire, Universal Tire, Bumper Boys, and lots of small vendors are there. Close to Erie, PA.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

As a point of interest, there is a GM future liner for sale in this months Hemmings- unrestored.No price listed.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the futureliner. I would definitely be interested in seeing it at the show. Maybe our Western New York/ Southern Ontario HHR group could get together there.

Steve
Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM

This is some really great stuff. Thanks. I checked out the site and the photos. I enjoy GM nostalgia as well as "looking at the future from a perspective of the past".

I found an old GM video about the Parade of Progress featuring the Futureliner.

For those who haven't seen it, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oGFn...eature=related
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Smile Dunkirk Swap

I'm planning on going again this year, I haven't missed it in 12 years. You never know what you will turn up finding. A lot of the vendor's are just local's with everything from auto parts to home made bake good's to sell. There is offen thing's for the lady's to shop for as well ???? Plus a few of the big vendors ????
If by chance your thinking about a new set of wheels ?? last year I ordered my Rally's with Coker at the Canfield Swap and they brought them to Dunkirk, two weeks later and I saved $$$ for the shipping.

Very easy to get to from East or West, Dunkirk, NY exit off I 90. Go thru toll booth towards RT 60, cross over RT 60 to the very end of the road, make a right. You will go under I 90, as you do you make a left turn and drive along the fair grounds on your right, and I 90 on your left to the back parking lot. Last year I think we paid $6 per car to park, and there is no gate fee to get in.
Word of advice, you are NOT alowed to park in the plaza lot you pass just before you make the right under I 90. I can speak from a past try at it, took me two day's to get my truck back after it was towed

If anyone has a question drop me a PM ??????? There are food vendor's on the grounds. If anyone wants to meet after for dinner I'm sure we can find a good place to chow down. We always go for Chinese near by.
I'm about an hour away but would be willing to take a ride to check thing's out once we get closer and have a head count.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Glad you guy are interested. You're right, this is becoming a really good meet. We've got a new chairman and a lot of the old-time vendors are back. If you guys can get a head count going, I can advise on some nearby restaurants.
This is a great half-way point for the Ohio guys to get involved in as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:01 AM

It would be worth the trip just to get a look at that GM Futureliner!