Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Low beam headlights won't come on (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/low-beam-headlights-wont-come-27376/)

skyeglen 12-29-2009 10:24 PM

Low beam headlights won't come on

I have a '06 with 98,850 miles that has developed a problem. (I did several searches and read 20+ pages on headlights but didn't see this problem from anyone else).

I made a late trip to Cabela's with the headlights working fine and parked the vehicle and locked it with the FOB. Upon returning I unlocked it with the FOB and it started right up but the headlights did not turn on. I checked to make sure it was in the "auto" position and it was so I manually turned the lights on and still no headlights. The taillights and front amber lights do come on. Both low beam fuses are good and the light sensor on top of the dash is not covered.

I can turn the high beams on in either the auto or manual position but no low beams. I just find it hard to belive that both low beams filiments would burn out at excatly the same time.

I will swap at least one of the bulbs tomorrow in the daylight but thought maybe I'm missing something else.

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

strddr 12-30-2009 06:43 AM

I would have the dimmer switch checked and possibly the fourway flasher circuit. Don't know if they are wired the same as '06 Impala's, but they had similar problems with the circuitry where the lowbeams would not work and usualy the problem was one of two mentioned above. Hope this helps.

solman98 12-30-2009 07:37 AM

It is possible for both bulbs to go out very close to each other. My wifes fogs burned out with 24 hours of each other. You may have had one out already and just didn't know it.

HillsdaleHHR 12-30-2009 07:56 AM

Dan, glad to see you made it home safely last night. How many pissed off people flashed you on the way home? After Chris hung up with you he did mention that you had Silverstar bulbs. We have put Silverstars in several cars but had problems with them burning out very fast, though never both at the same time. So we just quit using them. Let us know what you find out.

skyeglen 12-30-2009 08:48 AM

Thanks for the replys. strddr, I will check the dimmer and 4 way circutis.

solman98, good point. I hadn't thought about 1 bulb already being out.

Dayton, I think the total was 15 or 16. I just flipped the switch off of brights leaving just the parking bulbs lit and most understood. A couple just left their high beams on 'till they passed me. I've used Silverstars in all my vehicles for years without any premature burn out. These went in on 04-03-08 and they have been fine for 20 months and just under 40,000 miles.

I'll get started in a few minutes checking, and yes, it's 17 degrees out and the fender wells are packed with snow and ice. :-(

skyeglen 12-30-2009 10:42 AM

Dang it's cold out.....

solman wins. It was bulbs. The Silverstars are so bright I didn't even see that one low beam must have gone out previously and I just didn't notice.

I was thinking a switch, circuit or possibly the BCM for both low beams to go out at the exact same time. I figured chances of that happening were about as good as Tiger getting back together with his wife.... slim & none!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggestions. :thumb:

Now I get to take the gas hog (Silverado 4 door crew cab long bed 1 ton dually 454) off to get replacements.

solman98 12-30-2009 11:09 AM

Glad it was something simple.

skyeglen 12-30-2009 11:41 AM

Me too! Auto Zone only had 1 bulb (no twin packs) so I went to Advance Auto where they only had twin packs. Don't care, now I have a spare $24 bulb.

Life is good.

Rcflyboy 12-30-2009 12:36 PM

I had problem's with my Silverstars going bad also. I removed the paint from around the light bulb ground on the front fender well (Left one if I remember correctly) and that cured it. no problems sense then.

skyeglen 12-30-2009 02:36 PM

Rc, are you talking about from inside the engine compartment or a ground from thru the fenderwell from behind the left front wheel? I remember a couple wires going to a ground bolt behind the left fenderwell plastic behind the wheel. When I put the additional horn on I used that bolt for a ground and sanded the metal & wire terminals before I tightened the bolt.