Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Cold Weather Issues (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/cold-weather-issues-27196/)

Big Rad 12-16-2009 03:54 PM

Cold Weather Issues

It's getting cold in Michigan, and I was wondering if my problems are normal for the SS or if I should have the dealer look at these before warrenty is up:

1. Rear liftgate doesn't lift. The gas shocks aren't powerful enough in cold temperature (40 degrees F and lower) to actually open the lift gate. The lift gate just stays in one place, doesn't go up, doesn't go down.

2. The suspension bushings squeek until the warm up. When the car is cold and I go over some swells/ dips in the road, the suspension bushings are squeeking. After 5 minutes, the squeeking goes away. Only happens on cold afternoons, and only when I am going over swells/ dips in the road.
Car was designed for perfromance, and I am sure cold weather perfomance is sacrificed for performance, but am I the only one?

3. There has been a 'twang' behind my instrument panel. Sounds like a small metal ruler hanging off the end of a desk that somebody flicked. Again, happens only when the car is cold.

Are these items normal for us?
Thanks!

pitbull76 12-16-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Rad (Post 430727)
It's getting cold in Michigan, and I was wondering if my problems are normal for the SS or if I should have the dealer look at these before warrenty is up:

1. Rear liftgate doesn't lift. The gas shocks aren't powerful enough in cold temperature (40 degrees F and lower) to actually open the lift gate. The lift gate just stays in one place, doesn't go up, doesn't go down.

2. The suspension bushings squeek until the warm up. When the car is cold and I go over some swells/ dips in the road, the suspension bushings are squeeking. After 5 minutes, the squeeking goes away. Only happens on cold afternoons, and only when I am going over swells/ dips in the road.
Car was designed for perfromance, and I am sure cold weather perfomance is sacrificed for performance, but am I the only one?

3. There has been a 'twang' behind my instrument panel. Sounds like a small metal ruler hanging off the end of a desk that somebody flicked. Again, happens only when the car is cold.

Are these items normal for us?
Thanks!

Both my old 06 and my 08 made the #2 noise much of the time. It gets worse. Eventually it will do it almost all the time if it's cold. The dealers claim there is no noise. and I've almost given up.

I had the #3 noise on my 06, and it had to do with something simple. one of the tabs for the dashboard right next to the steering wheel was bent if I remember right; It happened after they replaced the steering column. The dealership was able to repair that one.

ecl 12-16-2009 04:49 PM

my 08 does #2 as well been trying to get the dealer to fix it since around 20k im not at 39k and they are still trying. They will be replacing the strut assembly on the one side to see if that fixes it so we'll see on Thursday. I would suggest you go get ever thing inspected before warranty is up at least then you have an open case with the problem and they should work on it till its fixed.

calgaryhhr 12-16-2009 05:08 PM

I've had #2 on my HHR for quite some time (like the others have posted). The dealership was never able to fix the problem.

For the liftgate, I've noticed that when it gets cold the liftgate actually opens much more rapidly and is not "cushioned" by the fluid in the strut as it goes up. I've never had it not open as a result of the struts being too cold. My HHR has seen temps as low as -40F and no liftgate problems.

Father Azmodius 12-16-2009 05:23 PM

I'll add a #4 for the Panel SS owners out there

#4 the driver's side rear door takes 2 solenoid engagements to fully release it from the weather stripping seal

I suspect some silicone on the weatherstripping would solve it, but I'm going to be an ass and make the dealer take care of it when I get my next oil change.

esmarkey 12-16-2009 05:33 PM

Check out this video and see if it sounds like noise #3:
http://s735.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=MOV02237.flv
If so, it took several trips to the dealer to get it fixed. It only happened when it was cold and by the time I got it to the dealer the interior was warm and no noise... They even kept it overnight to see if they could hear it after it sat all night, but stored it indoors..... DUH! Again, no problem found. Finally I made the attached video and one of the techs dug around and found it.... If it is the same sound, I can pull out my old service records and see if they list the fix.
Let me know.

THE BATMAN 12-16-2009 05:35 PM

35,000 miles and Mine is going in on jan. 4th,
# 1- for it's third set of tailgate struts.
for # 2 last winter it did the sound over a dip once, Now its every dip every day when it's cold , Unexceptable.

I have a list of 6 things to be taken care of, And i pretty much don't want the car back until there fixed.

Try this one, from the outside of the car compress your drivers door to the body back and forth while the door is shut , Mine clicks (Thumps) because theres play, both front doors do it and hitting a bump in the road does it, and makes the car sound like the doors are not shut all the way. Unexceptable. The rear doors don't click because they are never used.

Then theres that great headliner thats in the hhrs, 4th time it will be in for that.

Unfortunitly my first GM will most likley be my last :( , Which suks cause i love my SS.

hyperv6 12-16-2009 06:04 PM

The only noise I have had were the console that I fixed myself and the head liner the dealer fixed on the first try. I have a good dealer!!!

decepticonss 12-16-2009 08:53 PM

Do you guys garage store these or are they outside the whole winter?

davidjb 12-16-2009 09:06 PM

Garage