Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Check charging system?? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/check-charging-system-30760/)

GDZHHR 07-18-2010 04:16 PM

Check charging system??

This my second issue this week.

I pulled into my driveway and at the same time, my AC stop blowing cold, I got a "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" messgae in the DIC and the battery shaped icon in the gauges lit up.

When I put the car in par it idled around 2k, when I turned off the AC it dropped down to 1000 (normal for my car). When I turned the AC back on the rpms ramped up again.

Ideas?

Don06 07-18-2010 05:02 PM

Serpentine belt or the tensioner break? First thing I thought of that could cause both problems. Next would be a loss of electrical power to a part of a fusebox. Since it happened as you were turning, the combination of the electric steering, AC and fans could cause an overload.

GDZHHR 07-18-2010 06:55 PM

I just checked under the hood and you are correct, busted belt. CRAP! Not something I can do. Hopefully my neighbor hood mechanic can do it. Only a couple blocks away, if not I'll have to have it towed.

sleeper 07-18-2010 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the schematic for the belt set-up..

mikey12561 07-19-2010 01:24 AM

This might be a dump question but looking at that pic brings up a question. Where the Hell is the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump. I see what looks like the compressor at the very bottom (Stupid place to put it IMO). What is above it I can't make out at all.

JoeR 07-19-2010 06:16 AM

Not a "dump" question.... ;)

Water pump: Look at top left of pic. Round plate w/ 4 bolts. Water pump is behind that. It is driven by the crank on the same chain as the balance shafts.

Alternator is at the top right.

Yes, that is the A/C compressor on bottom right.

No power steering pump. The steering has an electric assist motor on the shaft. Look up under the dash and you can see it.

pitbull76 07-19-2010 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by mikey12561 (Post 479884)
This might be a dump question but looking at that pic brings up a question. Where the Hell is the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump. I see what looks like the compressor at the very bottom (Stupid place to put it IMO). What is above it I can't make out at all.

While for one, there is no power steering pump. The power steering is electric instead of hydraulic like older vehicles.

solman98 07-19-2010 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikey12561 (Post 479884)

Compressor on the bottom, the top looks to be the alternator. I'd guess the water pump is driver off the crank pulley?

Greybeard999 07-19-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 479897)
Compressor on the bottom, the top looks to be the alternator. I'd guess the water pump is driver off the crank pulley?

I believe you are correct on that...... :thumb:

GDZHHR 07-19-2010 10:13 AM

My turbo set-up complicates things some and I just don't have the ability to get the car high enough for my fat butt to get underneath with enough clearance to do this easily. I've got jackstands but this is still beyond what I can do in my driveway. Taking in to my local guy in the morning.