Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   General HHR (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/)
-   -   Avoiding a flood damaged HHR.... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/avoiding-flood-damaged-hhr-47879/)

843de 09-18-2013 02:15 PM

Avoiding a flood damaged HHR....

With the estimated 250,000-400,000 vehicles damaged by 2012's Hurricane Sandy, and the vehicles damaged by 2013's flooding in the Southeast and Colorado areas, its time for a general "Heads Up".(Plus 2014's flooding in the Desert Southwest)

And we seem to have some new members with electrical issues that to me are setting off some questions concerning their vehicle's prior history.

So courtesy of the NADA, let's call this "Don't Buy A Flood Car 101"

*10 Inspection Tips to Detect Flood-Damaged Vehicles*

"Once the clean-up, reconditioning and rebuilding begins, NADA is concerned that water-damaged vehicles may return to the marketplace. Nefarious individuals may buy these vehicles, thoroughly clean them and attempt to resell them.

While there is no sure way to know if a vehicle has been damaged by flooding, NADA offers 10 inspection tips that may be used to detect water damage. A prospective buyer can spot a flooded vehicle by following these simple steps:

1. Check the vehicle’s title history by VIN through commercially available vehicle history reports from Experian’s Auto Check (AutoCheck Vehicle History Reports Homepage - A Part of Experian.), or through the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s VinCheck (https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck). The report may state whether a vehicle has sustained flood damage.

2. Examine the interior and the engine compartment for evidence of water and grit from suspected submersion.

3. Check for recently shampooed carpet.

4. Look under the floorboard carpet for water residue or stain marks from evaporated water not related to air-conditioning pan leaks.

5. Inspect for rusting on the inside of the car and under interior carpeting and visually inspect all interior upholstery and door panels for any evidence of fading.

6. Check under the dashboard for dried mud and residue, and note any evidence of mold or a musty odor in the upholstery, carpet or trunk.

7. Check for rust on screws in the console or other areas where the water would normally not reach unless submerged.

8. Look for mud or grit in alternator crevices, behind wiring harnesses and around the small recesses of starter motors, power steering pumps and relays.

9. Complete a detailed inspection of the electrical wiring system looking for rusted components, water residue or suspicious corrosion.

10. Inspect the undercarriage of other components for evidence of rust and flaking metal that would not normally be associated with late model vehicles.

While these inspection suggestions will not detect flood damage in every case, they do provide some information to protect the consumer from purchasing a vehicle damaged by water or flood."

When in doubt, have the vehicle checked out, and that holds true for any used car purchase.

Snoopy 09-18-2013 03:02 PM

Good advice, Mike.

Brings to mind........

On a recent cross country trip I saw no less than 3 auto transport trucks carrying vehicles bearing New York and New Jersey license plates on Interstate 80, 70 and I believe 40, heading west.

At the time, I commented to the wife I thought they were probably Sandy "victims".

Oldblue 09-19-2013 12:07 PM

great advice, Mike, thanks

Old Lar 09-19-2013 12:14 PM

Don't buy used cars.

bowtieboy68 09-19-2013 05:55 PM

:twothumbs:

bigjacksauto 10-01-2013 03:15 AM

Great advice Mike!

Oldtvguy 12-30-2013 11:51 AM

Flood Cars

Three years ago we had some massive floods here in Northeast Arkansas, for about a year we had a spate of bad cars on the market. I am still leery of car shopping in the flooded areas even after several years have passed. I urge you to make a thorough check of any car you suspect might have been involved in flooding before you buy. It may work perfect forever or go down and drag your wallet with you..