Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Traction Control problem (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/traction-control-problem-8700/)

Lee3333 06-14-2007 10:36 PM

Traction Control problem

For the past several months, I have had a strange problem. If my car breaks traction (i.e. burnout) the Traction Control light goes on, and the car shifts very hard. When I turn off the engine for a few minutes, the car resets itself and is fine until the wheels spin again.

I took my car in to the dealer yesterday. They got a very unusual code-C0292. They told me it is a 'reserved code' what ever that means. They ordered me a new brake control module.

Dan's HHR 06-15-2007 06:58 AM

Stange code :wtf: keep us informed

GCarp 06-15-2007 01:30 PM

Maybe thats the code that tells them you're being exceptionally rough (burnouts) on your car. :lol: Big brother is watching :nono: :D

Applenut 06-15-2007 07:40 PM

or it means WARNING---ECM TUNED!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Desert Coyote 06-17-2007 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333 (Post 159438)
I took my car in to the dealer yesterday. They got a very unusual code-C0292. They told me it is a 'reserved code' what ever that means. They ordered me a new brake control module.

"Reserved code" means that it's a GM proprietary code. Even though OBDII means that all of the manufacturers share codes as far as emission/fuel injection problems, the manufacturers are still allowed to add their own proprietary codes for body control issues (such as ABS control modules for traction control). The only codes that are universal by Federal law are the emissions/fuel injection codes.

Other big issue with this? The dealerships are not obligated to tell you what the codes mean, but they'll happily do the repair work for you because they're the only ones who have those code definitions. This gives us FITS on the aftermarket level because we sell code scanners but when these "reserved codes" come up we have no definition for them. :eek:

Lee3333 06-30-2007 03:49 PM

Both the service manager(s) and every mechanic I have dealt with at my dealership have been nothing short of honest, open, and wonderful. They told me what it meant. Sadly, I had the EBCM and they reprogrammed it yesterday. The mechanic that worked on the car took it for a test with me, and was very impressed with the way the car drove. I told him to get on it, and the car did a very long burn out (he said he never saw an HHR do that before) and no T/C light came on. On the way home, I did several more starts with out any problem. Then, I accidently peeled rubber just a little pulling from an intersection and the light came back on. I called the dealer and he apologized and said to bring the car in again. I am wondering now if it has anything to do with the work the repair shop did after my accident. They replaced the rear axel, so they had to work with the plugs for the ABS. If this is the problem, I will probably have a problem covering it under the warranty and will have to fight with the body shop.

Curmudgeon 07-03-2007 10:43 AM

May have no bearing on your case, but I can tell you that my wife's Audi TT does exactly the same thing....and it's normal. It has a VERY sophisticated 4 wheel traction system, coupled to the steering and a ton of sensors. And anything out of spec will turn on the TC light, AND disengage the system...UNTIL the next engine off/on cycle when it will reset itself and re-engage.
I would bet GM has done the same thing, and the point is to keep you safe, but NOT have you pay the dealer everytime a wheel spins or a sensor gets out of sync momentarily.
It's a GOOD thing! Relax and stop paying the dealer everytime it occurs...especially since you're getting off on spinning tires!

Harpozep 07-03-2007 10:33 PM

Lee, you have had a busy year with your HHR, and not all in a good way:(
Sorry to red of your TC exploits ( Here and in that other forum ).

Will you be able to get your EBCM tuned again for free, or will it cost you?
Plus, at this juncture I suppose that would not be some thing to re do right now since the problem keeps reoccurring.
Keep us posted.

Lee3333 07-05-2007 07:35 AM

First, I have not paid anything for any of my visits (except for the time my airbag light went on, and the problem turned out to be a blown fuse where I had also connected something). The only annoyance is getting there and waiting around for them to check out/repair the car. But it is not too bad, since I know many of the people that work there-one has several show cars. Plus, it is located on a major commercial block with lots of stores, restaurants, etc.

Second, I already called TuneTime to see if that could have caused it and Matt assured me that it had nothing to do with the problem. I do not remember exactly when it began-perhaps following my accident where the rear axel was replaced???

Third, the dealership did not do anything to the main computer that was modified. They only replaced the box that is on the drivers side right behind the radiator.

Since I never had this problem before, I know it is not anything normal or built into the car for safety reasons. I just wish I could remember when it all began!

Lee3333 07-17-2007 10:02 PM

I went back to the dealer yesterday and they said that the reason my T/C light keeps coming on is because the MAF in throwing a code from getting too much air. THe 2 codes I get are DTC CO561 71 and PO106. He was surprised that I did not get the check engine light, and just the T/C light. He said when you get the MAF code, it shuts down the T/C as a precaution.

I have to get my computer retuned to allow for more air, but in the meantime thought I would put my original K&N filter back on that came with the CGS intake instead of the Outlaw that has a higher flow rate. I put it on, tried a burnout, and got both the T/C code PLUS the check engine light. Now I am in more trouble because when I shut off the engine, the T/C light goes out but the check engine light is still on. I have to bring it back to the dealer to be reset (my friends repair shop does not have the updates for the 2006 models yet).

Any thoughts or ideas? I never had this problem when I first installed the CGS and outlaw filter, so I do not know what has changed to create this problem.