Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   How to fix wiper transmission (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-fix-wiper-transmission-32975/)

LinkX 12-14-2010 06:37 PM

How to fix wiper transmission

I had today a broken wiper, one arm was swinging free, the other jammed, = no wipers, so I went to the dealer to find out they don't stock this & have to buy the whole trans @ $112.00. Too much, plus I use my car for service calls. So I am gonna fix it my self.
1. open hood, remove wiper arms and cowl cover, you will need a 15mm & 7mm sockets
2. unplug the wires from the wiper motor
3. with a 10mm socket remove three bolts that hold the assembly to the cowl.
4. if one of the ends of the linkage on the far end s (away from the motor) is popping off, this is what we can fix
5. need a #10 x24 tap and the correct drill bit(25?) pop the arm off of the stud, clean and center punch the stud in the depression, drill all the way thru, use a drill press if available, tap stud, drill a #10 hole in the middle of the plastic cap, use a bolt(stainless) long enough to stick out on the other side, use washers on both sides and finish with a nylock, tighten bolt on cap end so the is a touch of play, then use the nyloc nut to jam against the bottom, locking the assembly in place.

I will be testing mine this winter, it seems solid enough, the bolt only keeps it fron popping off, it doesen't use it a a wear surface. :D

843de 12-14-2010 09:09 PM

Sounds like you took care of things and saved some dough in the process. Not surprised they only have the whole transmission, the way of the world these days. Keep us posted on how the repair holds up.

LinkX 12-29-2010 09:39 AM

so far so good.holding fine .

longba76 01-23-2011 10:45 PM

I cannot get the linkage out - so this is a little more complicated.

LinkX 01-25-2011 12:46 PM

there are 3 bolts 10mm holding the assembly to the cowl, send a pic of what your trouble is, I'm not sure of whats wrong, or PM me

martianspy 10-14-2011 03:23 PM

How did this hold up? I have the same problem and don't want to replace the whole wiper transmission for a worn out plastic bushing.

All the replacement bushings don't fit the HHR.

LinkX 10-16-2011 09:10 PM

I just turned 166000 miles this week and wipers are fine!

Dain 10-30-2011 08:18 PM

I wish I would have seen your fix first, I just bought the transmission. But I got mine through auto parts tomorrow at a cost of $53 shipping included. I will change mine on Tuesday. Dain

Dain 11-01-2011 11:52 PM

Well changed my wiper transmission today took 40 mins to do it, very easy to do. Would have taken longer to do afro fix job on it. Damn plastic parts!

LinkX 11-03-2011 09:00 AM

Sure, spend $53 or spend $2 on some hardware, if you have some tools and are a bit handy, why not fix it yourself, been working fine for almost a year. I spend enough on this car as it it is, just spent $900 on Blizacks and wheels, oil change and tune up. I drive this car for work and get re-embursed very little, so I need to be careful of what I spend.