Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Oil Leak (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/oil-leak-44910/)

gschroed 02-18-2013 11:34 AM

Oil Leak

I have a 2006 HHR LT with 130,000 miles on it, and leaking oil. The leak is very small as I only see a few drops on the garage floor once in a while. It appears to be leaking from the front of the engine (above the starter). Oil runs down on the starter, and then looks like the wind blows it on the oil pan cover, then to the ground. I checked the oil filter cover on top of the engine, and it is tight and not leaking. Only suspcious area I see is some type of electronic sensor that appears to be threaded into the block above the starter. Could that part be leaking? Has there been a history of an oil leak in that area of the engine? What is that part? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

B.Diggity 02-18-2013 11:56 AM

Oil pressure switch? Im not by my car to see whats there or know where it is on the block.

gschroed 02-19-2013 11:53 AM

Gentlemen, does anyone else have some advice? Any GM techs reading that can help me? I tried to paste a picture of the electronic part threaded into the block just above the starter, but the forum will not allow me to post pictures. If you open your hood, and look down off to the left of the oil filter cap (just above the starter), you can see the electronic part threaded into the block. Mine appears to be leaking there, but I don't know what that parts is. I searched the forum for similar problems, but have found nothing about an electronic part located above the starter that is notorious for leaking oil. Help!

db/sb 02-19-2013 01:54 PM

From your description, B. Diggity gave you your answer in the post above. Oil pressure sender. GM PART # 12635992

gschroed 02-20-2013 11:18 AM

I have searched this entire website, and can't find any posts about oil pressure switch failure/leak. Has anyone ever heard of past problems with HHR's leaking oil because of a failed oil pressure switch?

ChevyMgr 02-20-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Doesn't matter if nobody on the forum has had the issue. If this is where the leak is, then it needs to be replaced.

Attachment 14271

db/sb 02-20-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by gschroed (Post 693018)
I have searched this entire website, and can't find any posts about oil pressure switch failure/leak. Has anyone ever heard of past problems with HHR's leaking oil because of a failed oil pressure switch?

I haven't had the problem on my HHR but I've had it on other vehicles I've owned. It can happen though it's obviously not a chronic problem on HHRs.

IgottaWoody 02-20-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb (Post 693023)
I haven't had the problem on my HHR but I've had it on other vehicles I've owned. It can happen though it's obviously not a chronic problem on HHRs.

Exactly what I would say..had several sending units leak over the years...never the same vehicle. Parts are man made,,there will always be failures.

firemangeorge 02-21-2013 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody (Post 693026)
Exactly what I would say..had several sending units leak over the years...never the same vehicle. Parts are man made,,there will always be failures.

X2. I've replaced many of those on other vehicles over the years. I even had to replace the one on my Kubota tractor last year!
Still have that "old style" sending unit socket in my toolbox.

dhw3971 01-24-2014 10:09 AM

I have had the exact same issue on my '07 at 127,500 miles. Turns out it's the rear main seal on the engine and it will have to be replaced.