Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   coolant level in tank (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/coolant-level-tank-5963/)

denny 12-19-2006 08:05 PM

coolant level in tank

Does anyone know how to determine the proper coolant level in the coolant tank? The tank is very long and hard to view. The owner's manual is of no help in determing the proper coolant level. I can't see any markings on the coolant tank to indicate the proper level. Any help would be appreciated.

Black Rose 12-20-2006 09:27 AM

Welcome to the site Denny.

The level indicator is at the bottom of the coolant tank.

This is from page 5-22 of the 2006 Manual.

Checking Coolant
The coolant recovery tank cap has this symbol on it.
The tank is located in the engine compartment toward the front of the engine on the passenger’s side of the vehicle.

See Engine Compartment Overview on page 5-12 for more information on location.

The vehicle must be on a level surface when checking the coolant level.
When the engine is cold, the coolant level should be at the COLD FILL line or a little higher. The COLD FILL line is near the bottom of the tank and sticks out from the rear of the tank.

Snoopy 12-20-2006 09:52 AM

Denny....

GM didn't do a very good job in writing or demonstrating the proper level of coolant. And, it is smart to "top off" the coolant, if needed, since the HHR is really dependent on coolant level with the capacity spec. at 7.9 quarts. About 80% of HHR's produced are delivered with low levels of coolant., which your dealer is supposed to correct.

I have found the fill mark, to be of satisfactory level, when the coolant is at the point just as the bottle narrows down to the fill neck. I have not had spills or loss since doing this.

Black Rose 12-21-2006 05:17 PM

Since my HHR sat at the "Park n Ride" all day, I decided to check my coolant level.

Man, talk about difficult to see!!! I never realized how tightly packed that engine bay was.

Based on Snoopy's response, I think my coolant level is OK, but I'm going to have to put a mirror down there to be 100% sure.

ivtech 12-21-2006 11:31 PM

It is easier to view the tank from the drivers side fender.

TomsHHR 12-22-2006 06:16 AM

Welcome to the site... :steering: :welcome: :steering:

Watching your coolant level is important, but do not forget to watch for leaks at hose connections. I found a leak where a hose is connected to the driver side of the engine next to the oil filter. Those screw type hose clamps beat them crimp clamps any day of the week.. :2cents:

SandyBeach 12-25-2006 09:50 AM

I figured mine would be fine since I just had the oil changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. I opened the hood yesterday to show my brother-in-law my new car and see that it's well below the recommended level. Guess I'll be headed to the auto parts store!

Alzonie 12-25-2006 11:43 AM

:D The dealers always say they check "All" fluid levels when they do an oil change! You sometimes wonder how true that is since they won't actually let you watch them them do any sort of service on your car any more like you could in "The Good Old Days" !! :roll:

nfboy 12-26-2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I figured mine would be fine since I just had the oil changed at the dealer a few weeks ago. I opened the hood yesterday to show my brother-in-law my new car and see that it's well below the recommended level. Guess I'll be headed to the auto parts store!

Remember it's Dex-Cool not regular coolant.