Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006 HHR LT Gremlins - Speedometer/Powersteering/check engine/bad shifts 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 PM

Well, I lack a floor jack but was able to turn the wheels to the left. and peer through the suspension and body...found this...

I think we found it.

Speed Sensor, BLue wire hanging out. Yellow connected. Will Replacing the Output Speed Sensor remedy both issues?

http://imgur.com/a/JgP1q

On second thought this is a break wire side...not sensor side am I looking at replacing the wiring between the TCM and the Output Speed Sensor?

Last edited by Pheesh123; 09-11-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Technical Moderator

Hopefully you can just splice and shrink. You might need to get a new pin in the connector from GM/Delphi.

I hate it when I click on "click the image" and then have to stare at the spinning wheel until I kill my browser.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Hopefully you can just splice and shrink. You might need to get a new pin in the connector from GM/Delphi.

I hate it when I click on "click the image" and then have to stare at the spinning wheel until I kill my browser.

Well I am in the process of getting some stands and a jack to prop up the HHR. My arms are just short enough that I cannot reach from the front passenger tire. It looks like the blue wire was pulled out of the plug housing do I need to solder the wire back into the plug that snaps to the sensor?

or is that the Pin in the connector you mentioned? I just don't understand the fix and terminology.

I appreciate the time you are taking to walk me through the issue.

I also fixed the image link.

----

Did some light reading, I need a set of these Pins?.

Insert the blue wire, crimp, then place into the plug connector and insert into the sensor?

Last edited by Pheesh123; 09-11-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fixed link in previous post
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you looked at your PrivateMessages?

If a wire is broken you mend it, if it is too short to mend then you put a new pin on the wire and insert it into the modular connector where the old one was.

I doubt that any of those pins would work, GM/Delphi is the supplier. I'm pretty sure that the part number will be in your PM.

I was right; here it is, no pins, but the connector.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Have you looked at your PrivateMessages?

If a wire is broken you mend it, if it is too short to mend then you put a new pin on the wire and insert it into the modular connector where the old one was.

I doubt that any of those pins would work, GM/Delphi is the supplier. I'm pretty sure that the part number will be in your PM.

Thanks for the part number. I have been switching between mobile and my laptop. And that is on top of being new to the forum and its notifications/functions.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM

I ended up disconnecting the wiring harness connection from the sensor. Both of the wires (purple and yellow) were chewed on, repaired and still failing. I spliced them back together wrapped them up and threw a little shrink wrap. I was doing a little shopping for the part and found some on Rock Auto that have a bit of wire already in the connector that I could splice according to color or A and B side. will something like this work?

Link to Rock Auto connector

After my rewire job Speedometer is working, car is shifting and all the other gremlins seem to be gone. I drove around for about an hour and all seems well. I really would like to find a more permanent.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Technical Moderator

If they are the right part number. Your local GM dealer might have one in stock.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I'll try to post your picture, even if it seems you've repaired the issue

Name:  sI6fBuK.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  703.4 KB

That looks like the speed sensor, bad crimp repair, the blue wire broke after the bad crimp repair
Old 09-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Technical Moderator

I wonder why the dealership didn't do it right.

Genuine GM repairs are warranted for a year.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:01 PM

No idea. With my temporary splice and electrical tape job ( I want to replace, solder and shrink my GM replacement) the issues with the car have went away. (3 days and counting) I really appreciate the support that the Chevy HHR community has given me. Is there a way that I can donate to the site to support you guys?

And in response to the repair that was made I have no idea why the repair was made the way it was, there was even more repairs about 6 inches up the wires under the black plastic flex wrap. Weird.

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR LT Gremlins - Speedometer/Powersteering/check engine/bad shifts 2nd and 3rd