Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > 2006 HHR radio does not work
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Member #: 55070
Check out my gallery 
2006 HHR radio does not work

Hi Everyone,

I had the battery disconnected for about a week now the radio does not work. I have checked the fuses and nothing is blown. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Steve
vintage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
to the forum Steve!

Being that the head unit has been without power for a week I'd say the security function has been triggered whereby it "thinks" its been stolen. You'll have to take it to your dealer and have them reprogram things so the head unit and the vehicle "know" each other again. After that you should be back up and rockin'.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Check out my gallery 
Thanks for your response. I thought of that too but there is no power at all now to the radio it seems. I have seen them when they are locked and they still have power and say locked. Does anyone lese have experience with this? I have seen this posted before and they have came back to life without reprogramming.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #4

Member #: 24127
Check out my gallery 
vintage11,

I agree with 843de, your dealership can reprogram your radio for you. If you need anything feel free to ask, thank you!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage11 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I had the battery disconnected for about a week now the radio does not work. I have checked the fuses and nothing is blown. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Steve
ChevroletCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Member #: 1280
Check out my gallery 
I think he has a different issue than the radio simply losing it's link to the vehicle. He says it won't power up at all. With all due respect, Evan, not even the dealership would be able to re program a 'dead' radio. I put a radio in our 06 that had been on a shelf for two years and it powered up but was 'locked' and I had to have it re linked to the vehicle. Did you check the radio fuse in the BCM?
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
db/sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Check out my gallery 
I have checked all the fuses in the underhood fuse panel and the inside fuse panel. All are good. Where is the fuse in the BCM? I am an ASE Master Tech but do not work on GM cars. i have called a friend that is a GM Master Tech and he says the radio is toast if there are no lights on and all the fuses are good. This car had the battery disconneted for a week and was on a battery charger. I have seen posts on the web about radio issues like this after jump starting. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Check out my gallery 
I just checked. The inside fuse panel is the BCM. All fuses are good in the BCM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #: 4865
Check out my gallery 
If your buddy has a tech II scanner have him try and communicate with the radio. Then test the connector to verify voltage is going to the radio. If it's not then your radio is toast.

And yes Evan as db/sb said, you can't program a dead radio. It must have power and communication with the BCM.

ChevyMgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #9

Check out my gallery 
Thanks Chevy Manager. I was going to stop by the dealership he works at and have him hook up the Tech II but I have been swamped at my shop for the last few weeks. Just getting done with a frame off restoration of a real numbers matching 1970 LS-6 Chevelle 4 speed. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Member #: 1280
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage11 View Post
I just checked. The inside fuse panel is the BCM. All fuses are good in the BCM.
Yeah, that was kind of a longshot anyway. Further researsh showed that the fuse I mentioned in the BCM is for both the radio and the power door locks. If your door locks were working the fuse was good.
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
db/sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM

submit to reddit