Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > Problems/Service/Repairs > 2006: Steering Column Rattle
-

Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 AM   #1

Member #: 4222
Check out my gallery 
2006: Steering Column Rattle

I purchased a 2006 about a month ago, low mileage and in great shape generally, but I'm experiencing a nasty little steering column rattle of late. It comes on at low speeds while braking, and it seems to be worsening with time (like these things will).

I have done a little looking around the 'net, and this appears to be a common issue with the 2006. Some say that their mechanics could not find the cause upon inspection. Others have said they have been able to resolve the issue with a replacement part.

Gonna take my wagon to the dealer, but I thought I'd see if any of you could educate me as to your own experiences with this issue, and whether you were able to clear it up. As always, many thanks for your anticipated input.
HHRPufnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
Banned

Member #: 170
Check out my gallery 
That's not a common problem. Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.
captain howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #3

Member #: 330
Check out my gallery 
darn rotors
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #4

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain howdy View Post
That's not a common problem. Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.
Switch to decaf, dude.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #5

Member #: 3926
Check out my gallery 
^^^^
stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Banned

Member #: 170
Check out my gallery 
Decaf sucks!
captain howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7

Member #: 2676
Check out my gallery 
Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #8

Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by exptcruiser View Post
Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.
Many thanks for the input. The noise occurs while going over mildly rough pavement, as well as when hitting actual bumps or when at low speeds when braking. We're headed to the dealer for some warranty work.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #9

Member #: 920
Check out my gallery 
There is a TSB on this I believe. Unfortunately we can not access them anymore and I do not have the number. Here is the title:

Steering - Front End Clunk When Turning

I think the fix most people have had is a replaced steering column.

2006 Daytona Blue LT 2.4 manual built 5/16/2006
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #10

Member #: 2330
Check out my gallery 
I had mine in last week for the same thing they trued my rotors but the problem was still there so they ordered me a new Steering Column under a TSB it gets instaled next week.

Wish list Gost flames-performance exaust

MODSRadio buttons-vent shades-fog lights-running boards-Premier spoiler-shorty ant.
Linepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 PM

submit to reddit