Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006: Steering Column Rattle

Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 AM

2006: Steering Column Rattle

I purchased a 2006 about a month ago, low mileage and in great shape generally, but I'm experiencing a nasty little steering column rattle of late. It comes on at low speeds while braking, and it seems to be worsening with time (like these things will).

I have done a little looking around the 'net, and this appears to be a common issue with the 2006. Some say that their mechanics could not find the cause upon inspection. Others have said they have been able to resolve the issue with a replacement part.

Gonna take my wagon to the dealer, but I thought I'd see if any of you could educate me as to your own experiences with this issue, and whether you were able to clear it up. As always, many thanks for your anticipated input.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:23 AM
Banned

That's not a common problem. Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 AM

darn rotors
Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
That's not a common problem. Just because a few people on a couple of websites may have experienced it that doesn't make it a common problem when you look at how many HHRs are sold. If like half of all HHRs sold had the same issue then I would call it a common problem. I would guess it's your brake rotors causing your problem. Most of us will agree that the factory HHR rotors suck and are prone to warp easily. It think mine lasted about 15,000 from brand new before they needed turning and they were warped again by 30,000. I ordered EBC rotors to replace the factory crap rotors but they haven't arrived yet.
Switch to decaf, dude.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 PM

^^^^
Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

Decaf sucks!
Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM

Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by exptcruiser
Have them check the steering column.If it does it also while turning and hitting bumps you might need the steeing column replaced or could be the shaft problem. I've experienced a similiar sounding problem and i have an 07.Half of my steering column was replaced, now the other half is on order.
Many thanks for the input. The noise occurs while going over mildly rough pavement, as well as when hitting actual bumps or when at low speeds when braking. We're headed to the dealer for some warranty work.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:46 PM

There is a TSB on this I believe. Unfortunately we can not access them anymore and I do not have the number. Here is the title:

Steering - Front End Clunk When Turning

I think the fix most people have had is a replaced steering column.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:16 PM

I had mine in last week for the same thing they trued my rotors but the problem was still there so they ordered me a new Steering Column under a TSB it gets instaled next week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006: Steering Column Rattle