Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2006: Steering Column Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 PM

i have the rattle on my 06 spring edition.....not bothering to take it in cause gm has always had trouble with steering colums and its out of warranty. when goin down dirt roads its terrible.....rotors are warped.....but these are small problems. the hhr is a great car..
Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyM84
i have the rattle on my 06 spring edition.....not bothering to take it in cause gm has always had trouble with steering colums and its out of warranty. when goin down dirt roads its terrible.....rotors are warped.....but these are small problems. the hhr is a great car..
Funny stuff...

I bought mine last June because I was tired of working on my 53,000 mile Chevy Suburban. Well, I guess I should have bought Japanese or German, because there has been literally something wrong with this new Chevy EVERY month (11 problems and 11 months...)

This month at 9,000 miles the HHR is now clunking and banging at every slow turn and bump in the road and getting worse.

The funniest thing is that I am meticulously CAREFUL with this vehicle. I nearly stop for railroad tracks. I park in the middle of nowhere to avoid dings. I drive it very carefully to hopefully extend the life. Doesn't seem to matter...

I have owned dozens and dozens of GM cars and trucks, but I will NEVER EVER buy another GM automobile after this one...
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Redline Toys
Funny stuff...

I bought mine last June because I was tired of working on my 53,000 mile Chevy Suburban. Well, I guess I should have bought Japanese or German, because there has been literally something wrong with this new Chevy EVERY month (11 problems and 11 months...)

This month at 9,000 miles the HHR is now clunking and banging at every slow turn and bump in the road and getting worse.

The funniest thing is that I am meticulously CAREFUL with this vehicle. I nearly stop for railroad tracks. I park in the middle of nowhere to avoid dings. I drive it very carefully to hopefully extend the life. Doesn't seem to matter...

I have owned dozens and dozens of GM cars and trucks, but I will NEVER EVER buy another GM automobile after this one...
I agree with you on the "never buy another GM". Mine is in the shop today after filing the "one last fix" for my $$$ back because mine has been in the shop more than it should for a 2007 with under 11,000 miles and one of them is that clunking sound in the front of my vehicle.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM

2006 with 68,000. I have had this rattle,clunking noise for awhile. I don't feel it in the steering wheel. not really that noticeable at higher speeds. but speeds from 0-45 range you hear it. slower more noticeable,thats probably why I can hear it more in this range.
took it to the shop and with the car up on the hoist, all the steering,suspension look/feel tight.
I had some leaking struts so I had hoped it was that. replaced the struts and the noise is still there.
I noticed that if i stand on the running board by the driver door and rock the car good, you can hear the noise. but if i push on the front of the car it didn't do it.
we next put it up a stand with the wheels under load. my buddy pulled on the end links and that was it.

so replacing the swaybar endlink did the job for my situation. hope this info helps someone else.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Ok... I think the test period is up, and so far, so good. Another new column (4) and rack (2), adjusted and lubed rear hatch, (never heard that over the front noise) Won't replace leaking struts (normal seepage) that drip on to the ground. But my noise has not returned. The last trip, they took apart the dash to find that the HVAC vent was routed wrong, and was causing a stress/vibration. They said they see a lot of that! Oh well, 15 trips in 3 years to fix the same problem. Think Government Motors will be better?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 PM

My front end noise was solved today. It sounded like the entire front end was going to fall out of my HHR. The warranty took care of two new stabilizer link pins and the noise is gone.

Even if you do not have your warranty any longer, this should be an inexpensive fix if this is in fact your particular problem.

Hope this helps someone else.