Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

2008 Crank and no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 PM

2008 Crank and no start

I'm new here. I've been reading off this forum for a few years and its been helpful so I'm hoping you can help with my current issue. First, I have a 2008 HHR 2.2L, 130,000 miles, runs fine but will not restart after driving. This started after it threw the P0019 (?) Code for crank and cam sensors. The car will start up again after it sits anywhere from 30mins to 2+ hrs. I've had both sensors replaced now and its still having problems. Replaced the cm sensor first, had issues still and just replaced the crank sensor today. It seemed in the beginning that it was fuel pump related seeing as how it would crank over but not start. I've stumped two mechanics on this and am desperate for some answers. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Is the Check Engine Light on?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM

Yes. I'm assuming its still the same code left the mechanics, engine light came back on, gassed up and went home. Tried starting it and nothing but it turning over.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

I guess my question would be......

Where did the code number come from? Who mentioned it was for the parts/repairs you mentioned?

I don't believe GM has a P0019 trouble code. I BELIEVE that is for some foreign vehicles.

Anyone else have any ideas.

Also....you have a question mark after that code in your post......why?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Sorry. Its p0016. I wasnt sure at the moment I posted.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM

Welcome to the site

In most cases a code p0016 with your mileage is a timing chain that has jumped a tooth.
Did you here any noises from the engine on start up lately?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

There's a slight rattle, but it runs Ok. Would the timing chain skipping a tooth cause it to not start after running then start up fine hours later? From what I've read, seems like timing chain issue too but I've yet to hear about anyone with their car acting like mine is right now as far as it starting, not starting and running Ok.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 PM

I would think that it would depend on what tooth it would jump on how it would run or what symptom you would end up with. Cam intake,cam exhaust or crank shaft.

I myself don't know any easy way to check the timing marks with out pulling the valve cover or maybe even the front cover.

Years ago we could check cam timing with a timing light but that was when there were timing marks to work off of.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks for that info. I should add that it seems like after the car is off and cooled down, it starts. Its pretty dependable that way, without being dependable at all. It doesn't seem random. It almost seems heat related as it started doing this on really hot days, then recently almost after every time I drive it. What should my next step be? Have my mechanic check the timing chain? Could it be heat or fuel related?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM

It's always possible to be fuel related but I would assume that you mechanic already check fuel pressure along with the rest of the system.

I would concentrate on the trouble code. I'm willing to bet when you find and fix the problem causing the code your symptoms will disappear. I myself am thinking timing chain jumped and would rule that out first.

However I do my out work and don't have to pay someone to tear into it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Crank and no start