Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Am I overheating?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Wow. Sorry, but I'm just speechless that you would ask about the thermostat now after all this.

Anyhow.
Attachment 17318
No, we covered thermostats on thread 22 & 23. What threw me for a loop is the direction of flow, I had assumed it went from the engine across the upper radiator hose. On a 350 chevy, the spring side goes down, but the flow comes up thru the thermostat housing and to the radiator.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't mean about replacing the thermostat(I have followed this whole thread), I was talking about the "which way" question.

Fwiw. Most thermostats can't be put in upside down. The spring side would not fit all the way inside the thermostat housing cap.
Although, I have seen it tried. Usually leaked or 1 time I even saw a guy snap the housing ear off trying to tighten it down.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:18 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by guppy
So the thermostat goes spring side up or spring side down?
What does that have to do with the direction of flow? I was trying to explain my thinking.

The t-stat will only fit one way.

Go to an online site like gmpartsoutlet.net an look for the part, they will give the part number.

I did it for you; they say: 12622410, for a 2009 2.4L, and for that matter all years of 2.2L and 2.4L, that I had time to look at.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-23-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:01 PM

These thermostats came out of a 2009 Chevy HHR 2.4L Ecotec engine.

The thermostat to the left came out of the junkyard engine, the thermostat in the middle is the new AC DELCO that I bought and the thermostat to the right (has a pilot hole drilled in it) came out of the original engine that had a blown head/gasket.

I suspended the thermostats in water that is preheated to 183°. The reason for the suspension is so they don't touch the bottom which is significantly hotter. All the thermostats are positioned the exact same direction so you can clearly see as they open. The water was stirred just before starting the video. As you can tell, I gradually raise the temp of the water throughout the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-j...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Technical Moderator

If you just let it sit at 183 it should open in several seconds. If it does not open until 190F it is wrong or bad.

The way a t-stat works (simplified): there is a "wax" plug that melts at 180F, so you have to wait for it to melt. They are not bi-metal, unless you get the verry expensive ones.

No t-stat for an HHR comes with a hole in it. Maybe you got that one from a previously banned member.

Does it really matter what vehicle it came out of? Is it the correct part is the question.

I don't have anymore to add to this discussion.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

This thread started almost two months ago, and the same problem continues. Tis time to seek the services of a mechanic who can lay hands on it.

Trying to resolve it over the internet is proving to be rather futile. It's best you seek some professional assistance before serious damage is caused.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 PM

Hey guppy,

Very sorry to see you're continuing to have these issues, and I know that donbrew, firemangeorge and others have helped you immensely. To piggyback off of what whopper said, if you'd like to have this addressed by your local Chevrolet dealership, I'd be happy to have a service appointment set up for you.

Please send us a PM with your contact info, VIN, and preferred dealership if that's something you'd like us to do. They will contact you to set up a diagnosis. We're here to assist, and we know this has been an ongoing issue.

Let us know if we can help!

Geoff G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM

Update: The engine has been removed and another one is going in. Mechanic feels that the engine has internal damage.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM

And? ...

I had a Chevy 350 short block sit in my garage too long before installing it. Mud daubers clogged up some of the oil passages, and it would never pump up the top end properly. Nothing I could do would get that baked clay out of the engine.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM

SUMMARY
2009 Chevy HHR

Bought Chevy HHR with bad engine (2.4L) from a friend. Engine had water in the oil. I bought an engine (2.4L) with 33k miles on it from LKQ (junkyard) and put in the HHR. It ran hot. The fan turns on at 217° as it should. I replaced the items listed below and it still runs hot. I contacted LKQ, they gave me another 2.4L engine with 55K miles. I installed this engine along with the new water pump and it too is running hot. I let it sit idling in park and it heated up to about 236° (it will get hotter, I just never let it get any hotter than this), then I rev the engine up to 3500 rpm’s, it will cool down to 192° in about one minute. As soon as you let it idle it will start heating up again.

• Replaced the water pump with a new AC DELCO (Part # 252821) water pump
• Replaced the thermostat with a new AC DELCO (Part # 131158) thermostat
• Replaced the lower radiator hose with an AC DELCO (Part # 26611X) radiator hose
• Replaced the radiator with a new AC DELCO radiator
• Replaced the temperature sensor

I have verified the temp sensor by measuring the water temp at the radiator cap and comparing to the digital temp in the car, they are within 5° of each other. I boiled the thermostat and it opens in the 185 - 190° range.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I overheating?