Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Noise from front when steering wheel is turned

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 PM

Noise from front when steering wheel is turned

Hello Everyone! New here. I just bought a 2006 Orange HHR LT. I have been going through it and doing maintenance. Just replace front struts. Used a quick strut kit. I then went and had the HHR professionally aligned. Now when I turn the steering wheel I hear a noise from the front like the steering pump is dry sort of a gear hum. Does anyone one have any experience with this?
help would be appreciated thanks.

Also this is a great site It has already cost me some $$$ because of reading the mod and How to forums. Fantastic information and seems like everyone is great to work with.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Technical Moderator

When moving, parked or both?
Probably hubs, there is no power steering pump.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM

Hi RamMarine,

I’m sorry to hear of this concern with your vehicle. I am not able to offer technical advice being that I am not a technician, but I will be glad to look further into this for you. If my assistance is needed, please send a PM with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name. I look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Hello
Sorry for the delay. I had a family issue come up that I had to travel. For the question on if parked or moving the answer is that it can be heard both parked and moving. Hubs are tight, checked ball joints, tie rod ends, link arms, and bushings. I am baffled because as stated it started after replacing the front struts. I have 163.000 miles on the car. It is sound engine, transmission and everything. Previous owners took great care and had maintenance documents for everything to include regular oil changes.
I know the HHR does not have a steering pump but it does have an electric steering motor which is mounted on the steering wheel in side the vehicle.
after getting back I have noticed that it is intermittent now. The sound is almost like a hydraulic arm noise as the arm is moved. That is why I thought something in the steering gear may need greasing.Thanks for any suggestions that anyone has.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

I'd take it back to the alignment shop and see what they can find.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Technical Moderator

Who replaced the struts? What brand? I'm thinking the mount bearings. Could also look at sway bar bushings.

I have never heard that description leading to Power steering.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:00 PM

This may sound like a strange question, but does it do it only when the radio is on? I ask, because on my 2007, under the right conditions, radios on, weak signal, I can hear some interference coming through the speakers, when I turn the wheel. It sounds like you describe hydraulic arm noise, and increases as I turn the wheel. Can even control how loud with the volume control. I'm sure its some interference generated by the power steering motor, but it does not effect in any detectable way its functionality.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Laco
This may sound like a strange question, but does it do it only when the radio is on? I ask, because on my 2007, under the right conditions, radios on, weak signal, I can hear some interference coming through the speakers, when I turn the wheel. It sounds like you describe hydraulic arm noise, and increases as I turn the wheel. Can even control how loud with the volume control. I'm sure its some interference generated by the power steering motor, but it does not effect in any detectable way its functionality.
That is odd, but totally believeable.

I remember back years ago. People would put in some of those old style cheap power amps for their stereos. They would have that alternator whine when the amp was powered up.
I guess you could somehow get "feedback" from the steering motor, charging system or whatever, then back through the radio.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 AM
geg

Noise from both ratchet? Only during turning?
If so - very likely wheel drive died.
I do not know the traditional English name, so the picture.

I had this problem with different cars. Treated by replacement.
Electric Power steering is not being, it is quite reliable (just an electric motor). In the event of a breakdown just stops working. And Electric power steering has no pump.
Replacing the front struts could well affect the wheel drives. Struts slightly changed the slope of the drive and the disease manifested itself.

I repeat : if the noise as a ratchet and manifests itself only in the turning process .