Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Blower motor switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:06 PM

Blower motor switch

Anybody have problems with theirs? Mine just crapped out on me. The off position has the fan on about middle speed. As I turn it, nothing happens for the first 2 clicks, then it shuts off. If I wiggle it, the motor sometimes works. It is only working with 2 speeds-off or on. I checked all of the fuses because on older cars the speed is controlled by a resistor and how much current is going through it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Just changed the resistor and it didnt solve the problem. Afraid the switch must be at fault, and a new one costs $260. I have to take mine out to see if there is something broken that is easy to fix.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Did you try looking on eBay? I've seen them listed before, and I don't think they were that much...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the great idea I will Also got a lead about someone with a wrecked HHR. I just took my dash apart to see if there was anything that looked repairable. Sadly it is all one unit which does not come apart (built in obsolescence) Just like the door handles, sun roof deflector, etc. All one expensive unit, without separate parts which can be easily and cheaply replaced.

Years ago the electric window broke on my wifes Saturn. Turns out it was just a broken washer, but it was not available without buying the ENTIRE motor, metal arms, etc for hundreds of dollars. A buddy of mine happened to be in town. He works at a BMW parts department and told me that on their cars you can just buy the plastic piece for a dollar. No wonder people buy foreign cars. They are designed better and made to be repaired.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Big difference in initial cost of vehicle, however. Remember, the HHR is an economy line vehicle.....$20K vs. $40k does make a difference in choice of assembly parts.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM

I had time to check it all out, and here is the exact problem. The rotary switch has 5 positions-Off and 4 different speeds. In the 1 (off) and 2 (low) positions, the blower fan is on at a middle speed. In the 3, 4, and 5 positions it is off. Going from 5 to 1, if I stop at position 4 and wiggle the knob, the fan goes off and on. But that doesn't happen going forward, only backwards. Very strange. In my opinion, it must be the switch. What else could it be???

Regarding the price, it costs less as far as warranty repairs to have individual parts serviceable. And I find it hard to believe that having separate parts for the door handle or switches would add anything to the overall price. For example if you examine the blower switch, it is actually part of a large assembly comprising the seat heater, temperature control, and duct control. The switches are all separate, but the heads to the screws are ground off so they can not be removed individually. How would production costs increase if each one was attached separately?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 AM

I would look for salvage parts. www.car-part.com has a database from many yards so it makes it easier to find what you need. I did a search on the heater/AC control for the HHR on that site and it looks like you can find it for $40 or less on there if you don't have htd seats, and around $50 if you do (plus shipping of course).
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM

Just ordered the control from EBay for $33. I found it on the car part website. Incredible how the prices range from $40 to over $100.

I went to my buddies shop and spoke to the electronics expert. He pulled up a wiring diagram from a mechanics website on the internet. We were afraid that the controls might go through the computer, but they don't. Really quite simple. There is constant power to the blower motor. The rotary switch just controls the ground. Full ground is high, the slower speeds pass through the resistor. Since my motor works, then both the relay and power to the blower must be good. Changing the resistor didn't help (was not hopeful that it would), so the only other thing it could be is the switch. The dial controls a circuit, so the board must have gotten bad (loose soldier, etc.)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Ask your friend to compare the same type replacement part between an HHR and a BMW, and then let us know.

I just had to replace the coolant crossover pipe on my wifes Mazda, it's a Mazda only part and you have to buy it with the coolant temp sensor already installed.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Ask your friend to compare the same type replacement part between an HHR and a BMW, and then let us know.

I just had to replace the coolant crossover pipe on my wifes Mazda, it's a Mazda only part and you have to buy it with the coolant temp sensor already installed.
More dumb automotive design. When one thing breaks, you should be able to replace it without having to buy more than you really need. It just boosts the price. Why not have the sender threaded so you can reuse it?

Quick Reply: Blower motor switch