Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Both rear doors very hard to open

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 02:25 PM

Both rear doors very hard to open

I have a 2010 SS. Recently, both rear doors have become difficult to open. I searched info but came up with nothing. Opening the rear doors is so difficult in fact that my 7 year old little girl cannot open them herself. I have to jerk the door handle hard for it to pop open. It's like its not activating the release until the last 5% of the handle throw. It's even more difficult from the inside. I was hoping someone might have some drawings of what needs to be looked at or adjusted or maybe some instructions of what to look for. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

1st thing I would try is a little lithium spray lube or even WD40 in the latch mechanism. If it's just a little gummed up or sticking, that should help loosen it up.
Also, a good cleaning of the door seals and a coat of Armorall or other protectant on the seals should make it smoother.
I have noticed that the rear doors on my HHR seem like a "road dirt magnet"

I doubt that you would suddenly have both doors needing any kind of mechanical adjustment at the same time.

Unless you have some experience at adjusting door hinges and striker plates, do not even attempt that. Leave that as a last resort and one for the pros.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
1st thing I would try is a little lithium spray lube or even WD40 in the latch mechanism. If it's just a little gummed up or sticking, that should help loosen it up.
Also, a good cleaning of the door seals and a coat of Armorall or other protectant on the seals should make it smoother.
I have noticed that the rear doors on my HHR seem like a "road dirt magnet"

I doubt that you would suddenly have both doors needing any kind of mechanical adjustment at the same time.

Unless you have some experience at adjusting door hinges and striker plates, do not even attempt that. Leave that as a last resort and one for the pros.
Yup, that's what it was. I sprayed some MX chain lube in the latch mech, opened and closed the doors several times, and it loosened up significantly.
While the door was much easier to open, it still felt notchy. I decided to just removed the inner panels and have a look at what was goin on in there. Same problem, lack if lubrication. Sprayed the chain lube on these areas behind door handle and now it's verrrrrrryy smooooth. Thanks fmg

Name:  79BCA646-E3DC-4E92-9D86-284F0B7718B6_zpskhq9fbow.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  100.2 KB
Old 08-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Good to hear.
Yeah, part 2 was going to be telling you to remove the door panels and lubing up the innards. That is, if the 1st part didn't work.

I'll give you a for doing the job right.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Deceased

Cool beans!

Glad you're all fixed up there Xtreme, and a big thanks to George for the helpful insight as always!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Good job -I'd hate to see one of the inside door handles break off cause they are a wee pain to replace/repair.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Good job -I'd hate to see one of the inside door handles break off cause they are a wee pain to replace/repair.
Exactly, was hoping to avoid that.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Great picture by the way of the door internals - thanks for taking the time to post it and all. :)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Great picture by the way of the door internals - thanks for taking the time to post it and all. :)
Of course, not a problem. I hate coming across threads where op doesn't follow up with results. That's annoying as hell!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

I know what you mean!!!

Thanks again man.

Quick Reply: Both rear doors very hard to open