Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

brake warning / low brake fluid / ABS fault

Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Rjj

brake warning / low brake fluid / ABS fault

I am starting a new post on this subject as to clear up the air on this problem. This is a cold weather climate problem. I need everybody that has experienced this to call NHTA the phone number is 888-327-4236. This government agency will document all your information to raise the red flag to get this a recall. General Motors has already put out a service bulletin on this problem but yet has a resolution to fix it. I took my HHR in to Heidebreicht Chevrolet in Romeo Michigan and had this problem investigated, they came back with codes verifying that there was a fault but assured me that there was no brake fluid leaking. They then ordered a new master cylinder to replace the defective part. In order to remove the master cylinder they had to ever so slightly move the car main wire harness to clear the master cylinder. When they did this it caused a major short in the harness that caused the car to not start. Hence they cut open my wire harness to find the short and repair it. REAL NICE for a car with less then 4000 miles.
I so gracefully accepted this and picked up my car. One week later I am having new brake problems now the brake warning light comes on and along with that the ABS fault light comes on. Heidebreight was contacted by General Motors customer service rep and denied the problem, could not be duplicated; leading General Motors to deny responsibility saying there was no problem. Little did they know that I received a call from the service tech telling us that the codes did show a problem and that he did duplicate the problem when the car was left outside for the night. He called to get the exact details of what was happening. I confronted the service manager as to why he told the rep that the problem could not be duplicated and he told me that he did not talk to the service tech. Real professional hiding the truth. I then contacted the dealership owner and told him of the misleading conversation with the customer rep. He threatened to end the conversation when confronted. In the end I told him the service report better state the true facts.
o ya! my car is still at the dealership going on 1 week now!

GM thinks that I should ignore the warning lights because it is just a cold weather condition and has no real merit. I say that is not the case and I will not put my wife and kids in a car never knowing if there is a real problem or just a cold weather alert..You all know the story the boy that cried wolf..

I really need your help in convincing GM that they have a serious problem before somebody losses a loved one due to their denial. Please take your car in and have everything documented and then call NHTA @888-327-4236

Last edited by Rjj; 02-13-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM

I'm in. I've got two HHR's, one of them has displayed this problem and our 2 year old rides in both.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Name:  af67ea7d.gif
Views: 7387
Size:  4.6 KB to the site. No problems here. If something does occur I will definately be on it.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 PM

HHR's seems to hate cold weather. I've yet to have the brake or ABS warning come on during the cold days but my vehicle is almost never outside.

I do have a terrible noise problem from the suspension when it gets cold outside, I really don't like it and I know others have this problem as well. I don't think I've heard of any resolutions yet for that and I've been leary about bringing it up with my dealer becuase they probably won't do anything.

If I do ever get this warning I will consider calling although I am in Canada and I don't know if it will help the cause if this is an American association.

Good luck with the battle.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Cool Water Noise

WELL LAST MONTH WHEN IT WAS COLD U NOW WE I USED TO HEATER MAINLY EVERY DAY TO KEEP MY SELF AND KIDS WARM THEN AROUND 2-2-07 I STARTED TO HEAR A WATER NOISE IN MY CAR AS I DROVE BUT ONLY WHEN I WOULD STOP AND DRIVE. U WOULD HEAR IT LIKE A SWASHING NOISE LIKE IF WATER WAS STUCK SOME WERE IN THE DASH BOARD SO I WAITED TELL NOW THEN I GOT ANNOYED OF THE NOISE SO I TOOK IT IN TO THE DEALER SHIP AND LEFT IT THERE. AS ALWAYS NOTHING WRONG JUST ANTIFREEZE THAT GOT STUCK IN THE BOTTOM OF SOMETHING THAT IT WOULD GO AWAY IN TIME I GOT PISS A NEW 06 CAR WITH A WATER NOISE THATS GETTING TO ME AS I DRIVE EVERYDAY WHAT DO U THINK I SHOUD DO DOES ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
THANKS HHRFLO
Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Rjj

update

Here is an update on my HHR. Well it is still in the dealership garage going on 16 days this time; they have been trying to find a fix for the low brake fluid/abs brake light problem. They say that GM techs have been involved and cannot resolve this problem; our car has been torn apart put back together then torn apart again. I did talk to an attorney regarding the Michigan lemon law and he quoted me that you must take car in for 4 repairs for the same problem or a total of 30 days in service at a repair shop in a 2 year period. Well I am just about there and I could care less at this point on how long they keep my car as I am closing in on the 30 days with the 3 times they have worked on my car. The attorney also said that all his costs will be covered by GM when all is said and done. In my case he assured me that it is a done deal based on the documented repair attempts. I have contacted NHTA and made my report to help all you other shy HHR owners that have this problem. Defects and problems are resolved only when reported, but then again we are only talking about your brakes.
** It only takes a 5 minute call to NHTA @ 888-327-4236 **
Old 03-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Brake Problem Fix

Not sure if this helps but I had a similiar problem and they replaced a weeping wheel cylinder. It has not been as cold recently but I have not had a reoccurrence of the problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Rjj

4th repair attempt

March 6,2007
Well I finally picked up my HHR on Friday 2-23-07 and the dealership and General Motors said they fixed the problem. They now said that found that the connection to one of the brain box’s had a some what loose contact connection in the plug. All said and done after 17 days in the dealership this time my car was fixed again. Funny that my car had an extra 103 miles on the odometer then it did when I dropped it off. That not really being the problem but they did not replace the gas they burned, but they did insist that I fill up the loaner car before returning it.
Today is March 6 2007 and guess what the temperature outside here in Detroit is 13 degrees (F). The abs and brake warning light is on once again. I turned right around and headed to the dealership and dropped it off for the 4 th time
Again I will ask that any body that has had the low brake fluid abs light come on in cold temperatures
please call NHTSA @888-327-4236 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Last edited by Rjj; 03-07-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Man, you cant catch any breaks can you. Good luck with #4!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:21 PM

I googled NHTA......found the New Hampshire Trappers Association. You be meanin' NHTSA? National Highway Safety Administration?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brake warning / low brake fluid / ABS fault