Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:44 PM

A/C Issues

Last Summer my A/C stopped working, the A/C compressor wouldn't kick in.

But I hit the button today and it started working, but it's Winter time.. Any idea what to check when Summer gets here?

Last edited by 843de; 03-03-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Deceased

aboard!

With any A/C issues I recommend you take your HHR to a qualified technician for testing and repairs.

As far as what might(or may be) happening, your system could have a low charge of refrigerant, or the clutch on the A/C compressor may be failing causing intermittent operation.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Technical Moderator

You know that the A/C compressor runs when in defrost mode and recirc mode.

Check my sig if you need an Owners Manual.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Mine didnt work for last few months (July >> ) of 2013.
(I typed the long version, but lost it due to a timeout)
so, here is the short version.

Had it evacuated and recharged.
was diagnosed 2x as bad compressor; (they said that was "to START")
I didnt buy it BECAUSE would work sometimes;
worked so good, would run you out of the car COLD;
then like it got TOO cold, would shut down.
might not work again for a day.

following Spring, 2014 I wondered same as you. What do I do now?

turned it on, and IT WORKED GREAT!
I used all last Summer, with this exception: I NEVER ran on "MAX HIGH speed" again so as not to let it blow TOO COLD for too long.
Even running on MEDIUM I got 40-43 degrees when 87-90 deg outside.

I am hoping for same this year!

(Side note: a friend said similar to this happened to his Ford truck; he adjusted the AIR GAP on the magnetic clutch and solved the problem.)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM

@hhr06NJ: Your description sounds a bad cycle switch. That's the switch that cycles the compressor off and on to prevent the evaporator from icing it up. If it doesn't do it's job the evaporator freezes and the compressor shuts down due to the excess pressure that creates. Could also be the OP's problem but I'd need more info.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
@hhr06NJ: Your description sounds a bad cycle switch. That's the switch that cycles the compressor off and on to prevent the evaporator from icing it up. If it doesn't do it's job the evaporator freezes and the compressor shuts down due to the excess pressure that creates. Could also be the OP's problem but I'd need more info.
I believe you are correct.
In spite of my suggestion of such, both techs (an independent w/ 30ys experience, AND a dealer) called for a new compressor, and that was "TO START WITH"

Auto Zone carries 2 "pressure switches", IN STOCK.
One of them at the dealer was $55.00, and also IN STOCK.
When I asked the dealer how about THAT repair FIRST (at MY risk of course), he replied $475. LABOR to install it.
I left, out $125 diagnosis fee.

Prior to the dealer, the independent repl expansion valve and recharged 2x for $350 total.
He had it working, then it stopped for him too.
His answer was you need compressor $1,000, AND Condenser FOR ANOTHER $1,000 !!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!!!
Do you know WHERE this switch is? Does the freon get lost replacing?

If it acts up this year, I will need to find a LIVE BODY to listen!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Technical Moderator

"They" say if the compressor broke you should replace the condenser also, some even say to replace EVERYTHING because of the risk of particles in the system.

I believe your compressor is bad at least the clutch. Mine does a good job and has a good pressure reading and never cycles on/off.

BTW you can get the pressure reading from the ECU using a Torque and an ELM327 adapter.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM

I never had to work on the HHR AC system but as I recall, the switch is screwed into the piping right where it connects to the rear of the compressor. If it is typical of most ac pressure switches, you won't lose any refrigerant because it incorporates a schrader valve.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
"They" say if the compressor broke you should replace the condenser also, some even say to replace EVERYTHING because of the risk of particles in the system.

I believe your compressor is bad at least the clutch. Mine does a good job and has a good pressure reading and never cycles on/off.

BTW you can get the pressure reading from the ECU using a Torque and an ELM327 adapter.
YES, concern about metal throughout was what prompted the expansion valve replacement, except that everything was clean; no metal;
i think this was cause for looking at a pressure switch issue.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I never had to work on the HHR AC system but as I recall, the switch is screwed into the piping right where it connects to the rear of the compressor. If it is typical of most ac pressure switches, you won't lose any refrigerant because it incorporates a schrader valve.
ok that is good to know; like i mentioned, it was working TOO GOOD. Would freeze you out of the car; i think it was NOT cycling OFF-ON, just OFF when got too cold, and then wouldnt come back on.

Quick Reply: A/C Issues