Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Stopped working and Lots of codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 PM

A/C Stopped working and Lots of codes

Ok I was driving my car and Turned off the A/C with the button when I went to turn up the fan. So I bumped the bumped the button to turn it back on. no A/C. the clutch does not engage. I checked the connection and unhooked it and re clipped it. that looked good. so I hooked the the Snap On Solus and a ton of codes came up. p0053,p0054,p0116,p0128,p0131,p0134,p0137,p0138,p0 13a,p013b,p013e,p013f,p0325,p0420 I stopped writing them down at that point there was more. The Snap on tells ya the codes and what they are. so I noticed my Electric cooling fan on the radiator was not coming on and the temp was at 219ºF so I did a Function test and manually turned it on and that worked. But only when i do it that way. I manually turned on the A/C clutch and nothing. so any Ideas?
Old 06-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Certain codes will disable the AC.
As far as numerous codes pulled. It may be an electrical issue. Under hood fuse box connection problems are a known issue in the HHR.
A weak or bad battery can also trigger wacky multiple codes.

As far as the cooling fan not operating at those temps, not sure there. Especially since you state that you can turn it on with your scan tool.

Fwiw. Really would help to post the year, model, mileage and any repair history.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 AM
Deceased

As George pointed out, your model year, engine size, and the mileage on your HHR will be a tremendous help.

With the multiple codes, step #1 is to check the underhood fuse box, see this thread below...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ers-check-522/

A cooling fan not engaging could be related to loose fuses/relays or seperated fuse box halves as explained in the linked thread above.

Or your engine coolant temperature sensor could be going bad, either way, it's an issue which requires prompt investigation and correction.

Ecotec engines are very intolerant of overheating in any way, shape, or form.

219° is mild overheating, but once you go over 230°, cylinder head and head gasket failures are a given.

Get it to 240°, and you've bought yourself an engine.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Technical Moderator

You have a blown fuse, is my bet.

check the fuse underhood #33.

Before you test a new fuse, find the wire that has chafed on something. My guess is the wires to the O2 sensors laying on the exhaust.

The A/C won't work because of the codes. I don't know how futzing with the switches would cause the codes.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Certain codes will disable the AC.
As far as numerous codes pulled. It may be an electrical issue. Under hood fuse box connection problems are a known issue in the HHR.
A weak or bad battery can also trigger wacky multiple codes.

As far as the cooling fan not operating at those temps, not sure there. Especially since you state that you can turn it on with your scan tool.

Fwiw. Really would help to post the year, model, mileage and any repair history.
I'm sorry forgot to do that. Thanks. 2009 HHR Panel LS 2.2l just about 190,000 miles. not much of a repair history at all. Engine has been great. We put 164,973 miles on it in about 3.5 yrs and let it sit for just over a year inside the shop. Then I bought it for $2500 no rust and at the time mech sound. Just put a new battery in it and off I went.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
As George pointed out, your model year, engine size, and the mileage on your HHR will be a tremendous help.

With the multiple codes, step #1 is to check the underhood fuse box, see this thread below...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ers-check-522/

A cooling fan not engaging could be related to loose fuses/relays or seperated fuse box halves as explained in the linked thread above.
Mike. I'm going to have to disagree with your statement above. If the OP can turn on the cooling fan with his scanner, then I would think that the fan wiring was making good contact in the fuse box.

Now granted. OBD, computers and modern wiring systems,,,yes, something could be loose and affecting other things. Just don't think it's going to be the specific cooling fan relay or fuse that's the problem.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 AM
Administrator

The P0128 code would shut down the A/C
Old 06-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Technical Moderator

Fuse #33 feeds the O2 sensors, the EVAP purge valve, the MAF/IAT. All of those codes are related to those items.

Add to look at relay #26, since it feeds fuse #33 and the A/C clutch relay, the ECM fuse, INJ IGN MOD fuse.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-25-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:39 PM

Did the fuse thing and same problem. And tested all the fuses and they tested good. Even switched out the resistors. The ECT is working fine to what I can see. I hooked a new one up just to see what would happen and still no A/C. I already checked the A/C relay and that works. But I noticed that it kinda gets hotter than the others. I don't know what to think at this point. Is there 2 ECT on this 2.2L?
Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well I'm confused by some of your descriptions.
Resistors ?
ECT ?

As stated before, some codes will disable the AC. Unless you clear that code, (as Oldblue said, P0128 is one that disables AC function),the AC compressor will not engage.

Quick Reply: A/C Stopped working and Lots of codes