Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

cannot shift out of park & car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:19 AM

cannot shift out of park & car will not start

I have read all comments on this topic and I still have a ?
my hhr 2011 has 29000 miles & is 3 1/2 yrs old. I live in florida and on flat land.
today I went out to start my car and it just gave one click. it would not start. tried to put gearshift into neutral but it would not move. all the electronics and power are working. the key has no problems and the key turns the cylinder to start the car with no problem. ran a diagnostic test and no codes came up.
called aaa and after they came out, confirmed nothing wrong with battery. was also puzzled that the gearshift would not move for them and did not know how to fix it.
now the car will not start and we are stuck in park and have to get it to a dealer.
is there an update by anyone out there on how to get the gearshift into neutral, it is an automatic transmission. and why out of the blue the car is refusing to start?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site..That's a good question, sounds like a "Christine" problem. I'm sure one of the smart guys will come along and help you take it apart, but in the meanwhile I would unhook the battery for a hour, then start it.

The computers and junk might need a rest ????
Old 08-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!! Sorry about this issue, perhaps that might be the ticket SS fan, disconnect the negative side of the battery in the spare tire well for 30 minutes just to reset everything. This may also be related to the auto trans shifter linkage pin broken or stuck , I did a search for shifter stuck in park , a lot of posts to research like this one

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/.../2...ck-park-46213/

give it a read and let us know how you make out, sorry we can't fix it over the old interweb!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Technical Moderator

Did AAA try to jump start it?

Another possibility is the fuse box halves have become disengaged. A lot of that going around lately.

Are you using the same key that you always have used?

You should be able to get the key out and into neutral with the over ride button hidden under the little flap on the steering column. Directions in your https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...+owners+manual.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by terrycon
I have read all comments on this topic and I still have a ?
my hhr 2011 has 29000 miles & is 3 1/2 yrs old. I live in florida and on flat land.
today I went out to start my car and it just gave one click. it would not start. tried to put gearshift into neutral but it would not move. all the electronics and power are working. the key has no problems and the key turns the cylinder to start the car with no problem. ran a diagnostic test and no codes came up.
called aaa and after they came out, confirmed nothing wrong with battery. was also puzzled that the gearshift would not move for them and did not know how to fix it.
now the car will not start and we are stuck in park and have to get it to a dealer.
is there an update by anyone out there on how to get the gearshift into neutral, it is an automatic transmission. and why out of the blue the car is refusing to start?
Hey there terrycon,

We're very sorry to hear this! Unfortunately we are not technicians and we are unable to offer technical advice, but if any extra help is needed or if you would like for us to contact your dealership in regard to your concern, we will be happy to do so. Please send us a private message in reference to this thread if our assistance is needed. We will be happy to help!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Probably wasting my time, but maybe try the security reset: http://www.ehow.com/how_7588588_reset-gm-theft-deterent-system.html#page=0
I don't know if it applies or not.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:59 PM

I would also check the battery cables at the under hood fuse box then are known to loosen up over time.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Computers needed a rest

Originally Posted by SS fan
Welcome to the site..That's a good question, sounds like a "Christine" problem. I'm sure one of the smart guys will come along and help you take it apart, but in the meanwhile I would unhook the battery for a hour, then start it.

The computers and junk might need a rest ????
Disconnecting the battery worked for me, thanks. My HHR was acting very strange, sometimes it would not start or after starting the gauges would go crazy. The service advisor also recommended to disconnect the battery. It seems like that is the only thing that helps if the computers get into a confused state and do not allow the car to start.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Time to get that battery checked - your symptoms are typical of a battery on it's last legs (slow to start, gauges going crazy, or failing to start).
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Administrator

X2 stop by any parts palace, like Auto Zone they'll check your battery and charging system.

Quick Reply: cannot shift out of park & car will not start