Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car dead. battery ok. security light blinked

Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Car dead. battery ok. security light blinked

So this morning I go to start the car, it cranks once but does not start. I try again, press the clutch and the car is totally dead. I saw the security light blink, but even that went out. Now nothing is on at all. Battery is perfectly fine, I also just noticed my steering wheel is not locked, even without the key in the ignition.

My car is remote keyless entry equipped, but I bought it without it. I only have the regular ignition key. Is this some sort of PASS key 3 snag? Why now? It started fine this whole time until this morning.

Anyway, I have disconnected the battery and hopefully I will at least get the blinking security light to flash so I can try to relearn the key with that 30 minute method I read here.

Any other hints to get the car started if Idont get the flashing light? Can I remove the passkey fuses or something?

Thank you!

Last edited by elzorroadrian; 06-26-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 06-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

You state the battery is fine. So you have done a voltage check on it or even taken it and had it tested ?

If it indeed has been tested and is fine, the next step would be to check the battery connections and then the main battery cable connection at the under hood fuse box.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Yes. Voltage meter shows battery is fine. Like I said, it cranked ONCE perfectly and then it all died right after that. I mean, not even the dimmer lights. No chimes. I fear the security system has shut the car down somehow. Problem is that most other folks have at least the security light on to try the relearn thing. Mine did that ONCE, and now not even that. Trying the battery disconnect for an hour thing right now. See if that resets the system. Any other easy reset options? Why is my steering column not locked with the car off an no keys in the ignition btw. That is also rather weird. No?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Let me try again.
You said the battery is fine twice. But, what is the voltage ? And, did you check those connections as I stated above ?
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 PM
Technical Moderator

Does your key have a + inside a circle engraved on it? That would make it a PASSKEYIII key.

What exactly would the point be of an anti-theft thingy that could be disabled by pulling a fuse?

I think the passkey receiver is part of the key cylinder, which is part of the steering lock, so somebody may have tried to steal your car last night and broke something.