Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

car won't shift out of park please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:01 PM

car won't shift out of park please help

Ok I'm a bone head and I spilled a coke on my shifter. I cleaned it up as best I could and went to bed. I woke up this morning and got in the car to go to work but the car wouldn't shift out of park. I have the brake pressed down, I can hear the click when I press the brake down (solenoid engaging?) when I try to press the release on the shifter, I hear a clicking noise coming from the steering column. I tried to disassemble the console so I could get in there to see what was wrong but I couldn't get the panel around the shifter off. is it possible i've blown a fuse, if so which one should I check? Any help would be much appreciated. oh just another piece of info it won't shift at any time whether the engine is running or not no matter what position the key is in. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Name:  bf54f4bf.gif
Views: 377
Size:  2.3 KB to the site!! Here is a thread right off hand to check: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=shift. I'll see if I can find any others. here's another: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=shift
Old 03-18-2007, 09:07 PM

That is strange because you should be able to go to neutral, even with the engine off.
I`ll bet someone with the Helm giude can find out if there`s a fuse or something electrical that could`ve gotten wet.
Good luck, B/B
PS. If you go to the dealer, be upfront, don`t make the problem any worse.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 PM

Ken
I have no Idea on what the problem is, I have a 2006 2LT and I have a Hands Free Hard Mount unit that is powered by the fuse area in the middle of the Floor board were the Heater blower vent is located Thats the only one I know of the is close to the Gear shifter. I don't think that has anything to do with your problem but its the only one I know of in that area. Did you try calling the 1-800-number for Road Side Asst. Good Luck

Rudy (Z-Man) aka LLB
Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM

I've not looked at these, but if my memory serves me right, there is a solenoid on the shifter itself that has to release in order for it to come out of park, and the carmel from the coke may have it stuck. I don't know for sure, also, the coke could have caused the plastic around the shifter to not move too, I have spilled coke on it before and have had it click really loud and feel stuck a little when I shifted it out of park. The plastic slider around the shaft, maybe stuck to the housing of the console. If not the plunger(solenoid) may be the problem. If you can't figure it out, maybe a trip to the dealer. If in cold weather, the plastic may be frozen to itself too, try moving the plastic around the shifter away from the plate on the shifter housing, front and rear, and sides, just a thought. The chrome trim around the shifter does pop off, look in there and see if there is a solenoid, and see if it works when trying to shift it. Check the owners manual for fuse locations, there may be a shifter fuse, it would say I'd think. I looked it up,# 46 underhood fuse box has the one for Park/Neutral. If none of these, sorry, good luck.