Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

CEL Fuel Injector

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM

CEL Fuel Injector

My CEL came on and I took it to the local dealer and he found a single misfire code and cleared the code. ...after telling me that I needed to put the stock Gas Cap back on. Okay, whatever.

A couple of days later the CEL came on and I took the HHR to a different dealer (close to where I work) and they said I had a injector that needed to be replaced. They are getting the part from Seattle and it will in tomorrow. Sigh....

-JJ
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM
jx3

At 30K, CEL on Dory came on. Took to dealer, bad injector. In/out same day, only minor inconvenience.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by JJ_HHR
My CEL came on and I took it to the local dealer and he found a single misfire code and cleared the code. ...after telling me that I needed to put the stock Gas Cap back on. Okay, whatever.

A couple of days later the CEL came on and I took the HHR to a different dealer (close to where I work) and they said I had a injector that needed to be replaced. They are getting the part from Seattle and it will in tomorrow. Sigh....

-JJ
Do you have any paperwork on what code was being thrown each time? I'd be interested to see if it was the same one.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM

I had injectors replaced a few weeks ago. The code was P0300 (misfire) Funny thing is that since then my mileage has increased even thought my lead foot has stayed the same.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Founding Member

This bulletin just came out. I find it interesting because it is an investigation yet I have never heard or seen this. It covers CEL P0300.

#08-06-04-046: EI08325 - Intermittent Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) - Check Engine Light On, Reduced Engine Performance, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 Set (Engineering Information) - (Oct 6, 2008)

Subject: EIXXXXX -- Intermittent Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) -- Check Engine Light On, Reduced Engine Performance, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 Set (Engineering Information)

Models: 2007-2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR

2007-2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2007-2008 Saturn SKY

with 2.2L or 2.4L Engine (VINs F, B -- RPOs L61, LE5)

Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. If the customer has not commented about this condition or the EI does not show in GMVIS, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in published service information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL -- refer to Service Bulletin 04-00-89-053B for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Important: If the customer did not bring their vehicle in for this concern, DO NOT proceed with this bulletin.

Some customers may comment on a intermittent MIL/check engine light illuminated. The customer may also comment about poor engine performance.

A scan tool may reveal one or more of the following DTCs stored:

• P0300

• P0301

• P0302

• P0303

• P0304

Cause
This condition may be caused by water intrusion into the spark plug well.

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the root cause of the water intrusion. Engineering has a need to gather information on vehicles that may exhibit this condition. As a result, this information will be used to "root cause" this concern and develop/validate a field fix.

Instructions
If a vehicle is encountered with the above condition, please follow the steps listed below prior to performing any repairs.

Remove the ignition coil and inspect for presence of water in the spark plug well.
If water is not present, visually inspect the boot and spark plug for signs of rust.
If there is evidence of water intrusion, contact the engineer listed below for additional instructions.
The engineer may want the camshaft cover, ignition coil, and spark plug. Parts will be requested back using the WPC return process. Do not ship parts until a request form has been received from the WPC.

Contact Information

xxxxxxxxx @ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If the engineer is unable to take your call, please leave the following information in a message:

• Technician Name

• Dealer Name and Phone Number

• Complete VIN and Repair Order Number

If engineering is unable to return the call within one hour, proceed with diagnosis and repair based on information found in SI.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I had injectors replaced a few weeks ago. The code was P0300 (misfire) Funny thing is that since then my mileage has increased even thought my lead foot has stayed the same.
If the engine is seeing a misfire I believe the car is going to have an impact on the overall performance (giddy-up and mileage) of the car.

I don't see why a shop wouldn't have a fuel injector or two around to replace on the OP vehicle (although I'm sure it does happen from time to time).

Another theory (based nothing except on the bulletin) is the tech did follow the bulletin and needs to replace the camshaft cover, ignition coil, and spark plug as requested.

Either way, hope all goes well with your car. Can't wait to see what they replaced.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM

The injector was replaced because of the misfire. The new injector caused the mileage to go up!

Originally Posted by ShefZ28
If the engine is seeing a misfire I believe the car is going to have an impact on the overall performance (giddy-up and mileage) of the car.

I don't see why a shop wouldn't have a fuel injector or two around to replace on the OP vehicle (although I'm sure it does happen from time to time).

Another theory (based nothing except on the bulletin) is the tech did follow the bulletin and needs to replace the camshaft cover, ignition coil, and spark plug as requested.

Either way, hope all goes well with your car. Can't wait to see what they replaced.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by dbfruth
The injector was replaced because of the misfire. The new injector caused the mileage to go up!
That would be the logical result.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Code was P0300. They replaced the #1 Injector.

Fuel mileage had gone down, but I attributed that to moving closer to work, resulting on more city like driving. I had not seen a decrease in performance.

I'll have to see how it goes.

-JJ
Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Cool P0300

Hope you're still around JJ HHR, I guess I should have kept closer contact to the forum.
I'm having the P0300 code along with P0171 code. Pretty regular now. I've tried the fuel system cleaners, several types, and have just replaced the exh/int cam lobe solenoids sensors. Still ending up with P0171 code.
Had the HHR in for service once last year and was informed I had uneven pressure in fuel injectors (this was not preceded by any trouble lights or codes) and was suggested to have all 4 injectors replaced. Advised at $440.00....I hadn't noticed any problems so I ignored. Just wondering where you ended up with this issue.

Quick Reply: CEL Fuel Injector