Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Changing spark plugs?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the info...I think I'm going to change them over the weekend. I put about 100 to 150 miles a day and I can't see it hurting. And yes I am a cheap bastard.....

But not with cars
Old 12-30-2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Li'l Hearse
You forgot to mention the plugs on the V8 Monza!

I have seen worse.

Just recently I have seen a Lexus SUV where you have to remove most of the intake just to get to the 3 plugs in back on the V6. I would be glad if you could just jack the engine up to get to the plugs.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 AM

The time to change plugs is like anything else with modern cars. YOu can throw out the "old school" ways of doing thing. The current plugs are listed as 100K miles, but take that with a grain of salt. You may need to chnage them sooner, or a lot later. If you start to notice a miss, time for a tune up.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Plugs can last for 100,000 miles due to emission warranties.

But I find it best to change them at 50,000 miles just to make sure still be able to remove them without ripping the threads out of the head.

Most plugs come out easy but every once in a while [Toyota] I would get one that did not like to come out of an Auminum head. I found that removing them at 50,000 I never have any issues. But with 80,000 or more I would get a tough one now and then.

The worst is the front side plug on a Pontiac Fiero V6 as the water ran down on that side rusting plugs in. Mine have not been an issue since my first change as the car is rarely in the wet anymore. I wax it more than wash it.

Always put anti seze on the threads before installing.

I put new plugs in but if you cheap you can use the old ones if they appear normal for wear.

Long reach plugs in the old Olds 215 ALuminum V8's from the 60 were a tough removal too.
On my 88 Fiero I waited 50,000 miles (eight years worth) and it took me nearly three weeks to get those front plugs out. Lots of penetrating oil and time. The car doesn't get driven that much, but I may replace the plugs again this year (at a two year interval).
Old 12-30-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
On my 88 Fiero I waited 50,000 miles (eight years worth) and it took me nearly three weeks to get those front plugs out. Lots of penetrating oil and time. The car doesn't get driven that much, but I may replace the plugs again this year (at a two year interval).
I feel for you. I have seen them even break off in the head.

I change mine every few years and since it never gets wet Mine come out pretty well. But even water just from washing is enough to rust them in.

I always tell people in daily drivers to change them once a year and they will never have issues.

I have the perfect swivel head ratchet to take them out so they are easy to change if you can just turn them.

This is one case a leaking VC may be of some benifit.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Do Not Get Me Started On The Plugs On The 4th Gen F-bodies !!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM

I went ahead and changed plus today. I spent a total of $34.00 for 4ac delcos with anit-freeze goo from Napa Auto Parts. It took about 30min to install after I let the engine cool down. A bit of advise I was told by mechanic is realy make sure the engine is cool becuase if it's not you could bend the treads with the metal being more pliable all. Almost forgot you really need the 6" extentsion to reach the plugs.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 PM

what happens with the plugs is, sure they'll still work. car will start, and run fine. But they deteriorate and build up deposits. You cant help the crud they put in gasoline these days...

I have yet to change mine at 62k, but they were replaced at 30k when the car was traded in, so I am not in a big hurry.

But if your avg mpg seems to be gradually dropping, it could be attributed to the spark plugs inefficiency due to age.

case in point-in my other cars, they employ a 32v DOHC V8. From the factory, they came with 100k mile platinum spark plugs gapped at .054.
when I bought one of the cars, the plugs had 76k on them, and were most likely original as the plug part number is no longer available, and that's what came out of the motor. The gap was at .044 on 7 of them, and .062 on one.

I elected to replace them with standard copper plugs. Cheaper cost/shorter life, better performance.

the proof was in the MPG, the butt-dyno, and the time slips at the drag strip.
so, $1.09 per plug X 8 vs. 4.69 per plug X 8...the copper plugs dont last as long, but they perform better in that engine. Plus, nothing wrong with yanking the spark plugs providing you are cautious to:
A)use the proper torque
B)use anti-sieze on the threads
c)use dielectric grease on the plug boots to preserve the insulation.

That's my .02
Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by BeanWagon
I went ahead and changed plus today. I spent a total of $34.00 for 4ac delcos with anit-freeze goo from Napa Auto Parts. It took about 30min to install after I let the engine cool down. A bit of advise I was told by mechanic is realy make sure the engine is cool becuase if it's not you could bend the treads with the metal being more pliable all. Almost forgot you really need the 6" extentsion to reach the plugs.
Yes on all aluminum heads it is best to let the engine cool before changing.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:30 AM

I helped my neighbor change plugs and wires on his Chevy 2500 van. Wow, what a major PITA!! HHRs are so easy to do compared to that.

For being such an easy job and realatively cheap price theres nothing wrong with changing them way before the recommended 100K interval.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing spark plugs?