Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

"Check Charge System"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 AM

"Check Charge System"

So I have read a few of the posts on this issue and none of them seem to match my issue.

I was driving on a straight street, it only flashed for a moment. There are no noises coming from my engine as described in the alternator issue. I'm not certain what else it could be.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

I would suggest to do as the DIC said. Have the charging system and battery checked out. Most of your local auto parts stores can check the system for you.
Since you didn't bother to put any facts here(year, mileage,battery age etc.) it would just be a blind guess as to why you got the warning.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Technical Moderator

What search would you want to do, the message sounds pretty clear to me. Have your electrical system checked at Advance/AutoZone/O'Reilly/PepBoys they all do it for free.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, have the car checked as suggested and let us know the result, mine was a dead cell in the original battery, when it died it just stopped everything I replaced the battery and no issues since then
Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 PM

A bad ground wouldn't make any noise...just throwing that out there
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

Probably nothing.

Sounds like car continues to crank, start and drive ok. Therefore no symptoms of problem with battery or charging system.

Since car cranks and starts, battery is not weak.

And if battery is not weak, then it is being adequately charged.

Sit at idle with as little electrical load as possible (low fan, AC off, no lights, etc.). Engine should momentarily slow down (reduced RPM on tachometer) going from no lights to brights, due to more mechanical work as alternator output increases. Note that AC is energized for windshield defrost regardless of temperature setting, so pick something like floor or bi-level and make sure AC is off).

Not impossible accessory belt slipped momentarily, say due to being wet. Belt will have more tendency to slip for higher electrical loads, and also if turning AC compressor. If belt is actually loose or worn, then you'll probably get more warnings, but you won't like it if it breaks.

Not impossible other components such as alternator brushes worn.

Originally Posted by Kitty1013
So I have read a few of the posts on this issue and none of them seem to match my issue.

I was driving on a straight street, it only flashed for a moment. There are no noises coming from my engine as described in the alternator issue. I'm not certain what else it could be.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Kitty1013 - best advice as many have said is to go get one of the auto parts stores to give it a quick checkout for battery and charging system condition (including the serpentine belt) - they may not even charge you anything.

Not all advice on the internet is great such as: "Since car cranks and starts, battery is not weak. And if battery is not weak, then it is being adequately charged."

A car will often turn crank over and start with a weak battery or a dead charging system - and will do so until the battery is unable to provide the power to turn it over.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Deceased

X2 Kitty

While a good deal of info on the "net" is well meaning and pretty accurate(some isn't), so you should have your HHR's charging system checked.

After all, if the internet had been around 100+ years ago, the Wright Brothers would have given up on flying machines because "they'll never work", and the world would have been forever deprived of awful airline food.

P.S. to the forum!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 AM
Banned

You may want to refer again to my Post # 6 above.

It might be interesting to use something like this to monitor the system voltage:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA2E70YM0934

To be conservative, you might want to remove unit overnight to avoid unnecessary battery drain (although this is probably unnecessary).

Based on your post, you have no drivability complaints. Only a single, short, transient warning light. Monitor the system voltage. Reading should be about 12.6 V before car is started after sitting overnight. Reading should go up to 14.5 V running. Voltage will go down from nominal 12.6 V before cranking to less, perhaps 11.5 V or so, during cranking, then go up to some 14.5 V after the engine starts.

My car (not an HHR) has a pretty funky electrical system. With a big load and low RPMs the system voltage goes down and sometimes warning lights come on showing that the battery is actually discharging. But this is momentary, and once the RPMs are back up the entertainment is over, for a while at least. Sometimes I'll go through a big puddle near where I park and the belt that turns the alternator gets wet, so I hear a little squealing, and more entertaining lights. Due to the context, it is actually very comforting, because I can see that everything is behaving in a familiar and logical fashion, and the warning systems are working.

You are obviously a very aware person. Awareness is your first line of defense. That's how you skirt trouble. I never start my car with the radio on, for example. I know exactly how it cranks. If it cranks slow, I want to know why, and act accordingly. Over 30 years ago I stopped in a town during a long trip. I was alone. My '72 Chevy cranked slow. When I gassed up later in the day, I left the engine running. When I got to a friendly looking town, hours later, way out in the Twilight Zone, I pulled into a motel space and shut her down. Then I tried cranking. No cranking. Next day I discovered that the starter motor brushes were so worn the screws holding them on were just "kissing" the commutator. It only cost about 99 cents for new brushes, but the motel manager was unpleased about his parking lot being used for a garage - it was a big job getting those starters off. That was a very unforgiving situation; evidently the brushes just wore that extra micron to contact the commutator, and that was it.

Originally Posted by Kitty1013

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM

↑↑↑↑↑

Quick Reply: "Check Charge System"