Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check Engine Light & Message...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM

Check Engine Light & Message...

Hello all!

This is my first post on here. I've owned my 2009 Chevy HHR for about 3 years now. I haven't had too many problems, thank God. Unfortunately for me, I don't have an amazing mechanic or Mr. Fix It nearby.

I was told by a friend to take my car to AutoZone because my check engine light came on. The guy took his machine out to my car, came back in & told me to Google the message because he didn't know what it was and thought maybe it was a dealership-only part. The error message read "Failed CMP actuator solenoid". I did recently get my oil changed and the gentleman said my battery was reading a little weak. He said this could be because my battery is in the trunk and they can only test from the engine, but he recommended me getting a new battery by winter. My car has 83,000 miles on it. The check engine light went off when I left AutoZone. I asked if they reset it, they said no but to still try and figure out what was wrong with it and keep an eye out for it to come back on. Well, today it decides to come on. Is it still driveable or I am hurting the engine by driving it?

Can someone please guide me to the most honest and least expensive route? I don't know if I need to do a full on diagnostic like Firestone recommended for $89 or take it to an actual Chevy dealer like AutoZone said. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Last edited by abbey2293; 07-01-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: cleaned it up a little
Old 07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Technical Moderator

If the light stays off, then it was an transient fault. Don't worry about it until it happens again, some faults will clear the light after several startup cycles. For the most part, the counter person at Autozone does not know anything about any specific car. When you have codes read you need the code, not the description of the code, that would be a number.

Sorry, but you seem too afraid or shell shocked to take any advice from an "expert". Why do you think we whahoos on the internet could help? You seem to have been given advice, but have not followed it. I don't know what the battery being a "little weak" means, but you have a 3 year old battery that is warranteed for 3 or 4 years (look in your owner manual). It just might be smart to get a new one before winter so you are not caught with a dead battery in 10 degree weather.

If you have had a bad experience at one shop, you could A) ask to have it out with the manager and/or B) go to another shop, Firestone has no monopoly on repair shops. The error that Autozone cited could be done at any shop, but the light has to be on when you go in.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

OK, since the light came back on/is still on, have the codes pulled again but ask for the specific trouble codes that have been set like P0010 for example. Post the codes here and we can at least give you an idea of what may be going on. Armed with that info head to your dealer, they won't be as cheap as an independent shop, but they'll have done the repair before.

Should you keep driving it, you can, but don't go weeks and weeks without addressing the problem. The deal with your battery, have the dealer do a load test on it, that will quickly determine the battery's health.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM

thanks

Thank you both. To the first reply, I am definitely scared of being told the wrong thing. I came here because there seems to be some really nice genuine people who know a lot about my specific vehicle. I'm not intentionally dismissing any experts opinion, I just have been told sometimes everything that could be fixed doesn't necessarily need to be fixed.

On the receipt from AutoZone, it says "Troubleshooting P0013 definition camshaft position actuator solenoid fault explanation the ECM has detected an open or short circuit condition in the CMP actuator solenoid Probable Cause 1 -open or short circuit condition 2- failed cmp actuator solenoid".

Sorry I should have included that in my original post. Yes the light is still on.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

WELLLLLLLLLL - ya come to the right place. Glad you posted that code - that really was what was needed.

The problem you have encountered has been seen by a few of us here, and is caused by a fault with the "Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid"on the exhaust side of the engine. When it goes bad, it generates that P0013 code and sometimes a P0014 code. And it usually lights up the Traction Control light.

Replacing it is a pretty easy job - first you need to get a replacement solenoid from your local Chevy dealer or off the internet via the GM parts stores. The part number you are looking for is 12655421 - this is for the Exhaust Camshaft position Actuator Solenoid.

Many of us, when having one of the solenoids go bad (there is one for the intake camshaft as well) replace them both at the same time, as they are relatively inexpensive at about $50 each.

The part no. for the Intake camshaft solenoid is 12655420 in case you want to replace them both.

To replace them takes a total of 20-30 minutes MAXIMUM, and is considered to be a pretty simple job. Here is a description of what is involved in the replacement (just the first posting in this thread):
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-valve-replacement-w-pics-p0010-11-p0013-14-a-28779/

Now, with all that said, sometimes the solenoid gets contaminated with dirty oil, or I think runs dry of oil if the oil level is not kept up in the engine. Sometimes an oil change will clear the problem, but generally it won't.

If it was me, I'd change both the solenoids. If you are not mechanically inclined, print off the first posting in the above thread that details the swap out procedure, and give the printout to your mechanic, along with the new part(s).
Old 07-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, I forgot to mention.................. The condition (error) MAY well disappear for a day or two, then come right back. This can be fairly typical if the solenoid is on the verge of failing.

Also, replacement parts are available at various auto parts stores, however I'd stick with the genuine GM replacment parts - no, I have no affiliation whatsoever with GM. Autoparts stores have been known to sell people a camshaft SENSOR which is definately not the SOLENOID.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the forum Abbey. You sure about that oil change thing Whopper ??
Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SS fan
Welcome to the forum Abbey. You sure about that oil change thing Whopper ??
Hey man. :-) Yeah a few postings elsewhere as well as from GM itself I believe mentioned the solenoids might get contaminated (shown via teardown) that inhibits their proper operation. So an oil change MIGHT help - but me, I'd just go and replace the darned things rather than save a nickel. :-)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Deceased

X2 on doing the oil change, it may alleviate the issue for a bit, but the repairs should still be done sooner than later.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:46 AM

Thank you so much. Now to find a mechanic who can do the job!

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light & Message...