Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Is chevy dealer only person who can program TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Is chevy dealer only person who can program TPMS?

I spent hours at a tire dealer who advertised "we fix TPMS"

They made me sit for 4 hours while they sent monitors back for new ones from NAPA because they couldn't get them to work.

They told me only the dealer can program them.

Dealer wants $55 to diagnose and $180 per TPMS
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Details please. Year model what the problem is etc. Was the car a rental in a former life, do you have a fob, do you have remote start.
Trying to get the 20 questions game started.

But the direct answer is: probably not. But depends on the answered to those questions.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:51 PM

2009 LS 4 door

Never a rental.

Just says service tire monitor and RR has no reading at all.

I do have remote start and I tried to reset using honking and deflating psi.

The RR went to flat without honking even after I tried aftermarket non OE sensor.

I just bought a new sensor from amazon that says it fits HHR and is OE. Sams Club said they would install it and program it for $5. I recorded him since I don't believe they will honor that price.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Technical Moderator

There are a couple of different frequencies used. I think (not sure) the metal valve stem is different from the rubber one. The one I am holding in my hand came from an HHR with rubber stem, it is labelled 315 MHz made by Schrader in the UK.

Here's a stupid test that may not prove anything at all; Enter the relearn program, but lie to the car about which corner you are at, in other words go to the RR when the LF light is on. That may tell you if the receiver is whacky.

Do you have your Original TPMS transmitter? Get the part number off of it and compare, assuming it ever worked.

NO PROGRAMMING REQUIRED, only relearning.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:06 PM

I too had the same issue with RR. I tried relearning all the tires, the first two would chirp after letting air out for less than 3 seconds, the RR would go 15 sec and still not chirp. I bought a new TPM sensor and had it installed for about $5. Went home to relearn it, using the key fob. The first two tires would chirp the horn after letting air out for less than three seconds, but the RR damn near went flat before it finally chirped. Maybe the original TPM sensor was not bad after all. Maybe the RR is just so far away from the receiver it takes more time?

Just in case someone is reading this and does not know about the relearning process using the key fob, here it is.

Chevrolet HHR (2008 - 2009) (2011) TPMS Reset Procedure

1. Apply parking brake. Turn ignition to ON position (engine off)
2. Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on the keyless entry transmitter until horn sounds, and then LF turn signal will become illuminated.
3. Starting with LF tire, increase/decrease tire pressure until horn sounds.
4. After horn sounds proceed as in step 5 for the next 3 sensors in the following order: RF RR LR After completing LR tire horn will sound twice.
5. Turn ignition to OFF position to exit vehicle learn mode. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on the placard.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Technical Moderator

One correction guppy.

On 2010 - 2011 the air release does not work. You must use a TPM relearn tool. The tool will work on earlier models.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Hey donbrew. I'm having that deja vu feeling. I know me and you have been through the "what year" discussion before.
My 2010 WILL work using the air release method. I think we agreed back then that it must have been changed mid-year in 2010.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM

I must of missed the discussion about the relearn on the 2010 and the 2011s.

I know the owners manual say the 2011 cars still do the air release relearn. Is this a misprint?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:59 AM
Technical Moderator

I know the OM that I DLd here for 2011LT DOES NOT.

YEAH, I seem to recall it was date of mfg thing not model year.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM

so it turned out I had a dead TPMS in the RR. I bought the AC Delco from Amazon for $27 shipped, took it to Sams Club, they installed it but couldn't program it.

Brought it home and did the horn reset and all is back to normal. Thanks for the help all!

Quick Reply: Is chevy dealer only person who can program TPMS?