Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clarification Needed/Desired on a P0011 Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Clarification Needed/Desired on a P0011 Code

Vehicle - 2009 2.2L California Smog HHR with less than 60,000 miles.

I’m getting a CEL & P0011 code. This has been intermittent – only once before this week. This week it has happened twice. I’ve reset no codes; I’ve just read them - all three P0011 codes are there in memory. I have changed the oil since the first occurrence and the code has returned.

This points to the Intake Cam Position Solenoid from my understanding reading through all the Threads and Posts on this site.
AND that it is covered under the 2009 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warrantee?

Here are my questions:
Could it be the Cam Position Sensor? Most on this site have stated replacement of the Solenoid has taken care of their problem.
In either case is this really covered by the 5 year 100,000 mile drive train warrantee?
I try to stay away from the dealer, but will go to them if this is indeed covered.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Founding Member

I believe you need the sensor(s) and they are covered by power train warranty. Normally we go ahead and replace both of them, but some dealers may only replace one based on the code.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks, That Was Fast

This is where some of my confusion comes in:
In your thread at: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/07-09-10-11-powertrain-parts-coverage-list-22231/
I can’t find where the “Sensors” are listed as covered – the “Actuators or Solenoids” are listed as covered.

Plus in my 2009 Owners Manual it specifically states that “sensors” are not covered as well.

What am I not understanding?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
Founding Member

This is what happens when I post from my phone. You are correct that the Camshaft Position Sensor is not covered by power train.

The Camshaft Position Solenoid is covered and that is what I was referring to in my last post that needs to be replaced based on the P0011 code.

The codes for the Intake Camshaft Position Sensor are like a P0641, P0340, P0341 and some others. This sensor takes about 10 minutes to replace if I remember correctly, if it ever needs to be done.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Ah, they both start with “s”.

Into the shop tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Founding Member

Yep and I am coming off of my fourth 12 hour work day in a row.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Back from the Dealer

The dealer’s diagnosis says this P0011 code problem is a “Phaser” problem – they are ordering in the parts to repair. The diagram they gave me pointing out the problem area shows the “Intake & Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuators” according to my 2009 FSM. These are in with the timing chain.

Note:
The dealer said the TSB issued did not apply to my vehicle’s engine build date, I’ll see if they are correct. Last 6 of VIN 525480.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

"Phaser"? - sounds like a Star Trek Dealer. *GRIN*

Here are the part numbers - hopefully you get the updated ones which came out a short while ago:

The GM numbers for the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoids are as follows:

--------- Original-----Updated
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784

Intake 12628347 = 12646783
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
"Phaser"? - sounds like a Star Trek Dealer. *GRIN*
That too is what I thought when I first heard the term. Did look it up and the "phaser" word is used in a description I found in the FSM.

Originally Posted by whopper
Here are the part numbers - hopefully you get the updated ones which came out a short while ago:
The GM numbers for the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoids are as follows:
--------- Original-----Updated
Exhaust 12628348 = 12646784
Intake 12628347 = 12646783
There was no mention from the dealer about replacing the "Solenoids", but the internal "Intake and/or Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuators" themselves. From what I understand these are what the "Solenoids" actually move inside the engine. They appear to be round with teeth on them from the drawings I have looked at, but more than a simple gear. My bet from looking at the drawings is the "Camshaft Position Actuators" are attached to the end of the Cam Shafts and they are then turned by the Timing chain.

I do not yet understand this “Variable Valve Timing” stuff. I'll be doing a bit of studying.

When I went to the dealer the replacement of the solenoid(s) is what I thought would occur, at least for their first try. This solenoid replacement seems to be a common problem – this dealer seems to think my problem is a bit more complicated.

Last edited by Sno White; 02-25-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Founding Member

From the Service Manual

Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator System

The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system is an electro-hydraulic operated device used for a variety of engine performance and operational enhancements. These enhancements include lower emission output through exhaust gas dilution of the intake charge in the combustion chamber, a broader engine torque range, and improved fuel economy. The CMP actuator system accomplishes this by changing the angle or timing of the camshaft relative to the crankshaft position. The CMP actuator simply allows earlier or later intake and exhaust valve opening during the four stroke engine cycle. The CMP actuator cannot vary the duration of valve opening, or the valve lift.

During engine OFF, engine idling conditions, and engine shutdown, the camshaft actuator is held in the Park position. Internal to the CMP actuator assembly is a return spring and a locking pin. During non-phasing modes of the camshaft, the return spring rotates the camshaft back to the Park position, and the locking pin retains the CMP actuator sprocket to the camshaft.

CMP Actuator System Operation

The CMP actuator system is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM sends a signal to a CMP actuator solenoid in order to control the amount of engine oil flow to a Cam Actuator passage. The pressurized engine oil is sent to unseat the locking pin, and to the vane and rotor assembly of the CMP actuator. There are 2 different passages for oil to flow through, a passage for cam advance and a passage for cam retard. The Cam Actuator is attached to a camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). Engine oil pressure (EOP), viscosity, temperature and engine oil level can have an adverse affect on Cam Actuator performance.
-------------------------------------------------

If they are not replacing the solenoids possibly the actuator. There isn't a part called a phaser but rather it is a term. Number 3 is the actuator in the pic below.

-------------------------------------------------

Number 1 is the exhaust solenoid and number 2 is the intake solenoid.

Quick Reply: Clarification Needed/Desired on a P0011 Code