Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

clicking noise from left front suspension area.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM

clicking noise from left front suspension area.

Hi! First post here and... I have a problem.

I have a 2007 HHR LS (2.2, manual trans) that is making a strange 'clicking' sound while driving straight. To further complicate the issue, this clicking noise only occurs while the vehicle is relatively cold; once it has been driven for a little (a few miles) the clicking noise almost goes away. The sound appears to be coming from the front drivers side, from the area of the suspension. I've noticed that it is very prominent when I drive next to a wall (like driving up to the drive through window of a fast food restaurant, for instance). It corresponds to the speed of the vehicle too (faster movement, faster clicking) but not with engine rpm; it only occurs while the vehicle is moving. And as I said, after driving for a little it nearly goes away. In fact, on a warm day it's hardly even audible!

My first thought about this was the CV axle... however, my understanding is that a bad CV axle is usually associated with this kind of 'clicking' sound while making a turn... and mine is doing it while driving straight. An inspection of the CV boots revealed that they are intact and look good. It's not making the kind of 'roar' sound I usually associate with bad wheel bearings. I've removed and inspected my tires for debris as well.

I'm wondering if this symptom could be caused by something other than the CV axle. It really does sound almost like when a bearing is hitting a bad spot in its race. I went ahead and removed the CV axle. I found that when I removed the axle nut, the end of the axle was already loose in the hub! I wasn't expecting this as it usually should require the use of a hub puller, or for the axle to be driven out with a BFH. My first response though is that I just got lucky and it came loose while using my impact gun to remove the nut. Did I just find the problem and not realize it?

I would rather make a logical repair based on the symptom I've described than just start randomly replacing parts. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Check the splines on the drive axle, if they are clean and straight then give the bearing hub a spin by hand if you feel a flat spot replace it.
The 3 rear hub mounting bolts are torqued to 85 ft lbs
The drive axle nut is torqued to 155 ft lbs
The lug nuts for the wheel are torqued to 100 ft lbs

Welcome to the site , good luck!
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Technical Moderator

You didn't mention my first thought: brake pad wear indicator/screecher.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Check the splines on the drive axle, if they are clean and straight then give the bearing hub a spin by hand if you feel a flat spot replace it.
The 3 rear hub mounting bolts are torqued to 85 ft lbs
The drive axle nut is torqued to 155 ft lbs
The lug nuts for the wheel are torqued to 100 ft lbs

Welcome to the site , good luck!
Thanks for the response!
I checked the spines on both the axle and the hub and they are clean and straight. I also spun the hub and neither felt or heard any clicking, or anything that would indicate any roughness or wear. However, I'm doing this with the weight off the front wheels (it's sitting on jack stands). With no weight on the hub bearings, there could still be a problem but I might not be able to hear or feel it.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You didn't mention my first thought: brake pad wear indicator/screecher.
Thanks for the response!
I've checked the brakes and they are not the problem. The pads are well within their wear limits and there is no indication of any metallic contact that would cause this sound. I'm aware of what a brake pad wear indicator/screecher sounds like... this isn't it.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Administrator

The. I would replace the hub bearing as a precaution and it is most likely culprit . If that cures the noise then buy a hub for the other side as they like to go south together!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Technical Moderator

"the end of the axle was already loose in the hub" does that mean that you pulled the hub off, does it mean that the nut was loose, does it mean that the axle has play in it, does it mean that there is play between the hub and the axle? Or, any of the other possible areas that it could be loose.

IF there is play in the splines there is something wrong. IF the axle nut was loose there is something wrong. Axle play is normal.

Maybe something else is loose? Like the chin spoiler? Somebody once found a Dr. Pepper cap in the alternator making noise. Somebody once found a plastic bag stuck on something.

I think the hub is most likely bad. Hub end play should be less than .005 inch.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Good points Don are you saying my suggestion is incorrect and if so please state why
Old 02-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Technical Moderator

"I think the hub is most likely bad."

Did you miss the last paragraph oldblue?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Administrator

No but the added information about the tolerance I did miss, or did you just add that to fake me out? LOL

But I was thinking that everything should be reassembled and torqued properly to confirm the hub is toast

Quick Reply: clicking noise from left front suspension area.