Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

clutch master cylinder bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM

clutch master cylinder bleeding

Hi all
I am new here and have 2006 with the 2.4 5 speed I bought new.
I have just turned over 234,000 km or 145,000 miles and the clutch was getting at the point it was so low to the floor to disengage that it had to be looked at. As far as I can see it is the master cylinder that is toast, after trying to bleed it at the bleed tap where it goes into the transmission it gave me one little bit of fluid and that was it. Vacume bleeding it has done no good what so ever, the same results with the 2 person old school way.
At no time is the resivoir level droping during an attempt at bleeding.
I removed the mc and even trying to bench bleed/prime it I cant get it to accept brake fluid into the line that goes to the resivoir. I have to order a new mc tomorrow and hope that is the problem (its definately toast now but that is another story).
Has anyone had to replace the master cylinder on theres yet or had trouble bleeding it.

The car as been very good so far and I assume I will have to do a full clutch and slave cylinder soon enough but would like to try and get 1 more year out of it so its paid for before having to do a clutch.

Only other thing that has been an issue is 1 wheel bearing at 135000 miles and warped rotors- switched to organic pads 100,000 miles ago and still on the same rotors with no warp and still within thickness spec.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM

sounds like your on the right track. the master may be bypassing interanlly so there would be no pressure or fluid loss.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

I hope you can get lucky & buy some time with just the master.

I always had to do both.. Time will tell..

PS: On my last Chevy S-10 it was doing the same, by-passing inside the master. No fluid loss, just got harder to get into 1st at a dead stop.. So I did both.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM

Took a week for gm to get a master cylinder in stock.
stuck it in and went to bleed it.
Half a dozen pumps and a couple squirts of air and fluid and the clutch pedal is back up where it has been since I got the car 145,000 miles ago. ( engages about 3 inches from the floor.
Just need to put the fuse box bracket back in ( I think this is the worst designed piece on the car, the bracket is about 3 times the size of what it holds and gets in the way of everything) and I will be back in buisiness with the hhr,
Dale
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 AM

Glad to here it worked out for you. Nice job
Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dnutbrown
Took a week for gm to get a master cylinder in stock.
stuck it in and went to bleed it.
Half a dozen pumps and a couple squirts of air and fluid and the clutch pedal is back up where it has been since I got the car 145,000 miles ago. ( engages about 3 inches from the floor.
Just need to put the fuse box bracket back in ( I think this is the worst designed piece on the car, the bracket is about 3 times the size of what it holds and gets in the way of everything) and I will be back in buisiness with the hhr,
Dale
thanks for the reminder!!!

I have a '98 Avenger sitting in my driveway waiting to be put back on the road for winter that has the same issue with a hard to disengage clutch - and I keep forgetting to grab a new master Cyl for it. Thanks again for adding to my job jar!!!