Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

drivers side floor soaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:47 PM

drivers side floor soaked

just got back from having chinese buffet. fortune cookie said "tonight i would have a pleasant suprise". we both thought "this should be fun". got out of the car when we got home , i noticed a water trail on the kick panel just below the hood release lever. then i noticed standing water on the carpet. then i pulled the rocker cover off and lifted the carpet. suprise but not a pleasant one. i vacuumed 2 gallons of water off the floor from under the carpet. we've had heavy rain yesterday and last night. i suspect the wiring boot between the cab pillar and the door. or it could be a bad windshield install. im pulling the carpet out tomorrow to dry it out. then we'll hose it down to find the hole. "murphy"

Last edited by stanvalp; 04-16-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by stanvalp
i suspect the wiring boot between the cab pillar and the door."
This is what was wrong with mine. They sealed it with some kind of silicone and replaced the carpet and no problem since.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM

yeh i searched and read your thread. thank u
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM

agent orange lookin good btw
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 PM

agent orange lookin good btw
Thanks.

yeh i searched and read your thread. thank u
For doing some research
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 PM

I think I better go have a look since it's been raining like @#!* all day!
Hope you get it fixed.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 PM

my pleasant surprise turned out to be how simple and easy it was to get the carpet out. word of advice to anyone thats had water leaks. PULL THE CARPET OUT. there are deep voids under the carpet in the floor pan where water pools. it will take a long, long, long time to dry out if it ever does. also the bottom of the carpet is a sponge like rubber. it also holds a s**t load of water. tomorow ill confirm the leaks location.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Back around a year ago I had a similar issue and they did the normal things to no avail. Had to pull the dash and they sealed a body seam back there and the plate where the steering and other goodies go through the firewall. Hopefully your issue is one of the normal ones and not like mine.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM

well i've got ginger dried out. i siliconed that stupid grommet and hosed her down. dry as a bone. u would think after 85 years of building vehicles that gm could engineer an exterior grommet that actually seals. all of the water running off the cowl runs down directly onto this stupid thing. no wonder it leaked. i've got my old milkhouse heater wired into electrical panel in the basement to dry out the carpet. should be able to reassemble Ginger by this afternoon. she'll be about 30lbs lighter when im done(2 or 3 gallons of water). pita over such a bonehead thing. its still a nice car to work on though. im not going to let this sour my opinion of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:46 PM

my daugter and i put the interior back together in about 45 mins. nice and dry. not so sure about the hydro bill after running a 220v 4800w heater all day.

Quick Reply: drivers side floor soaked