Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR left me stranded today! Has this happened to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM

HHR left me stranded today! Has this happened to anyone?

I was 30 miles from home today and stopped at a store and when I came out the key would not turn in the ignition. Tried everything, turning the wheel rocking the car, moving the gear shift, nothing. Called the nearest dealer and they told me to call GM road side assistance and it would be covered under warranty (it's an 08 25,000 miles)
Tow truck was there in about an hour and took it to the dealer. They came out in about 20 minutes and said I needed a new ingnition switch and cover and they had to order the cover.
They gave me a new Mailbu as a loaner which surprised me because I bought my HHR used and at a different dealer 130 miles away.
Is the switch a known problem or is it just me?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Jim's 2009
Is the switch a known problem?
Yes, not common, but known.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Same thing (almost) happened to my wife's car.
I checked the key and it looked slightly bent and twisted.
I (carefully) straightened it out and voilą! no problem.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
Same thing (almost) happened to my wife's car.
I checked the key and it looked slightly bent and twisted.
I (carefully) straightened it out and voilą! no problem.
The bent key thing has happened with this HHR also.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 PM

NO NO probably not bent key it is a know problem believe it or not it is somehow related to the gear shifter . Its happened to me twice . 1st time it happened to me I could not take key out but it would turn and start not a good feeling having to leave your car with key in the ignition . 2nd time key would not come out or turn had to have it towed . Both times about a year after owing (bought in 06) and happened twice within 6 months has not happened again . I will bet you it is the same problem as mine . If you go to search and put key stuck in ignition you will find thread about it . I love my HHr but there are alot of problems more than anyother car I have had (new car) . Here is a small list . bad rotors , (key problem) , (water on floor) , (lose fuses from assembly) , steering column , (gas pedal) (door handle) . The ones with perenthesis are the ones I have experenced . I have had a PT Cruiser , Matrix and my Ford f350 all new and all a few problems but seems to me the HHr has had more but I still love the car I wish they had done a better job but hey I think it will all shake out sooner or later . My 06 only had 3 yr warrenty so it over and my wife wanted me to buy extended but I decided to take a chance so far so good knock on wood .
Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM

HHR is not alone with quirks

Unrelated to HHR, but directly related to the situation, I stopped at a very remote (no cell coverage) rest area with my Ford E450 motorhome. When I tried to leave, the trans was stuck in Park. The shift lever wouldn't budge. After panicking peruse of the owner's manual, I found that if a brake light bulb burnt out (which was the case), it leaves you high and dry and the gearshift cannot be moved into a driving position.

Luckily there is a stepped process involving sequential key and brake pedal gyrations to defeat the lockout to get you going. Imagine if it were a timely emergency such as a birth or heart attack? Technology certainly has it's drawbacks.

The point is that the HHR is not the only vehicle with quirks.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM

It's nice to hear that the warranty held up nicely even when at another dealership.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Mine was replaced last month at a very discounted rate by my local dealer. 69,000 miles, so warranty was wayy out. you could've gotten your key out by using the switch hidden under the steering column.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Wildman(and Pizzaman), the more common problem was the shifter like you had, but there were a few bad ignition cylinders as well. When they fail, there is no way you are getting the key out! It sounds like the OP here had a bad lock cylinder. I had one on my 06 that prevented me from even shutting the engine off(but it could get stuck in other positions of course). On another occation, I had the bad shifter that prevented the key from moving to the full off position as well. 2 different problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM

My key did go in and out just would not turn. Got the HHR back today.
They had trouble getting the new ignition in, not sure what the problem was. Looks like they were having trouble getting the steering off, my dash is now scuffed up. If it is still brothering me on Monday they are gong to hear about it.

Left from the dealer today and went off to find a 2010 Equinox. The dealer that fixed my HHR didn't have any. Turns out that nobody has any around here. If I had found what I wanted I think the HHR would have been gone today, even had my title with me. Going to have to order one if I want it. After driving the loaner for a couple days (Malibu) I not happy with the comfort level of the HHR.

Quick Reply: HHR left me stranded today! Has this happened to anyone?