Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Takes 4-5 times to start HHR

Old 02-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Takes 4-5 times to start HHR

Hi again. My HHR will not start (crank over) until i have turned the key to START at least 4 times. I re program the key and it will start on the 1st try immediately after programming once and only once. Say I park and go into a store for 15 min and I try to start it, it takes 4-5 tries again. I have tried both keys and remotes. Tried getting in and locking with the remote before starting, as well as locking/unlocking. There was a period of a few months that it was fine except for when I opened the hatch or one or more of the rear doors or passenger door. Then it would take a few tries and be fine after that(which seems odd in it's self). I have reseated both of the relays for start under the hood and every now and then it will start on the first try after reseating the relays. The start relay, I think it is #28? the black one right in the middle, has a sticker that says "v 2.0". is there some kind of updated relay or program? Another issue is that the car will not automatically lock or set the alarm on it's own after 60 seconds (as it says in the owners manual). I have set lock delay in the DIC to off and on and there is no change. I might also mention that the transmission is a 5 spd manual. Any help is appreciated. I love my HHR, but I can't take this much longer. I use my car for work and start stop 5-10 times a day. Having to turn the key 5 times every time is getting extremely frustrating. My last 4 cars before this were Chevrolets and this might be the last, sad to say.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Founding Member

What year is your HHR?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

Owning a 5speed myself I have to ask the stupid question......

You are pushing the clutch all the way down correct?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM

My HHR is a 2007. Yes, I do push the clutch all the way to the floor. I can even hear when the switch for the clutch clicks to engage. Any help is appreciated. Judging from some of the repair bills in various posts, if I end up taking it to the dealer, It might be cheapest to get a warranty first!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Founding Member

This could be a couple of things.

1) passlock sensor needs to be replaced, also known as the ignition lock cylider. This seems the most plausible by your description.

2) loose wire or pin connector at the main fuse box under the hood.

As far as the system not arming, if you are using the door switch to try and arm the theft system. It won't. The owners manual is wrong. This was true in 2006 but not 2007.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 AM

How much does the cylinder run? I guess you can't get the energizer coil alone? I believe you have to have the candy or scan tool to install this too, correct?

As far as the locking arming, It will arm/disarm lock unlock with the remote. I was referring to the auto delay lock. Your supposed to be able to set the car to lock after 5 seconds if you wish in the DIC. It also says that the car should automatically set the content theft alarm after 60 seconds if the car is left unlocked. mine does niether. I have set the delay lock to off and on in the DIC w/ n/c in condition.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM

Fixed the no start problem!

The no start on the first 5 key turns turned out to be an aftermarket (Start disable) relay, part of a security system.

The relay is solid black w/ sharp edges, mine had a red circle dot sticker and another sticker that said V 2.0. I popped the cover off and it has 2 small circuit boards and a tiny relay on one of those. It is located in the center of the fuse box, and is noticeably different than the other rounded edge relays.

Turns out that there are some dealers that install this relay and try to sell it as an added security alarm at the point of sale for approx 200.00 + dollars. If the customer refuses, they just leave the relay in there and keep the fobs, since they only paid approx 10.00 per kit. I was told by my dealer that they have had these cause major meltdowns of fuse boxes and certain wire harnesses. I assume that random remote frequencies and misc frequencies can disable this relay and cause intermittent starting problems. here is a link to the product company page, notice their selling strategies:

http://www.safeliteofamerica.net/Sa/Homex.html

and ebay item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I certainly hope none of you has paid out of pocket unbeknowest that they had one of these relays for costly electrical repairs and parts. My dealer charged me a total of 77.00 labor and relay. The relay is only 22.00 and only available at the dealer. Get it out of there, I was lucky to get it out before a major meltdown! Hope this helps someone else with this most frustrating problem!
Old 04-26-2009, 03:52 PM

One of the first things I did was to uninstall the dealer’s anti theft system. Mine was not on the “Fuel Pump” relay, but the 30 Amp Crank #5 fuse. Plus the installer put a large hole in the side of the Fuse Box cover, yuk.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Good discovery, and that is outrageous they would install something like that. Seriously, report them to GM. Again. excellent detective work.