Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Dead battery

Left lights on, power saver did not shut off the power drain. Battery was dead in 3.5 hours. Got a jump start from a portable battery box. Car started, very rough idle, and strong fuel smell. Two messages in dash display. One said something like reduced engine performance. The other was something like operating in power saver mode. Car will not go over 30mph, unless it's rolling downhill. Limped the car to an open GM dealership. Here we sit. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 PM

We had the battery go out, but it wouldn't jump for love nor money. Dealer said one of the cell walls burst or somethin.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I have not had any battery issues thus far, I wouldn't think a battery would die from only three and a half hours of headlights on. hopefully the battery was going down hill and that just pushed it over the edge, and the fix is as simple as a new battery. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 PM

Angry Dead Battery

OK, As posted above by my friend while in Ohio today. We went to the Canfield Swap, got there around 9AM. Walked away with the lights on, about 3 hours later he returned to but our load in the back. Key fob would not work, so he opened the drivers door with the key, reached in to unlock the back door to put all inside.
He returned and was telling me about the fob not working ??? Did not give it a second thought. Till we came out to leave, found that I had left the lights on !!
We do not recall hearing a chime warning that the lights were on. Plus I thought there was a low votage shut off in the system ??? if there is it did not work.

We got a jump and got her started, but she was only running on low engine operation according to the dash read out. After driving it about 6 miles on a super highway we made it to a dealer. We waited about 2 hours before they got it into the shop. Then it only took 15 minutes to recode the computer to operating spec's. Drover home at an avg. speed of 75 with out missing a beat.

I'd like to ask everyone to turn on the head lights with the key off and tell me if you can hear a buzzer or bell ??????

Next, does any one know if there is a shut off if you do leave the lights on after about 20 minutes automatically ?????

I'd also like to know, say your HHR is rear ended and the battery is smashed and you have no power. Know will the windows go down, key on but no battery power left ???

And will the door locks work with the fob ??? I know alot of us have installed those smoth door lock's. Say you are driving and the battery is smashed, shifter is in gear or you can get it into park ?? How do you get the doors unlocked ???? to get out ??? Just think it a little furthur and the HHR is on FIRE ??? How do you get outin a big rush. Oh, you do not have the tool to smash the glass to crawl out ??????
Just think about it !!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:00 PM

Yikes...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:16 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by BlackHHR06
I'd like to ask everyone to turn on the head lights with the key off and tell me if you can hear a buzzer or bell ??????
Yes, there is a rapid sounding chime.

Originally Posted by BlackHHR06
We got a jump and got her started, but she was only running on low engine operation according to the dash read out.
How did you jump start the HHR? Under the hood posts?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM

Mine are set to go off automatically. This will never be an issue.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 AM

This is a feature lots of people are not used to, but Had this on my 2000 Grand-Am also. Why not let them turn on and off by themself, been doing that for almost 2 years now.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Lights were on "auto" when it came from the dealer and I have left it there...no prob.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Same here. I have never (purposely) shut off the lights. I accidentally turned the auto off off once, and had to read the manual to get them back on.

Quick Reply: Dead battery