Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Difficulty removing key from ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Difficulty removing key from ignition switch

Has anyone experienced difficulty removing key from ignition? It has been a recurring problem with our HHR. The only way to get the key out has been to "jiggle" the shift lever (automatic in park position). I will take it in to the dealer next week, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this, and what the fix was.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Several have had this problem, including myself. The fix was a new shifter assembly. If you are in a pinch, there is a button under the keys (if I remember correctly) behind the "grommet" you can push to release the key. Another member with a better memory may be more helpful on that one.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Page 2-22 of owners manual describes removing small plastic cover
(Approx. 3/4 " square) from the bottom of the steering wheel housing and pushing a small button towards drivers side, should release key, two handed operation.
Also had same the problem with a Cobalt (same set up) shifter button became stuck in the depressed position. A little coaxing released it also.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I never did find that button. I had to unplug something on the underneath of the steering wheel to get my accessories to turn off. My keys would not turn from the accessory to the off position so the keys could be removed. Before this happened, the keys would stick occasionally but not always.

Go to the dealer and describe the problem. They'll replace the shift mechanism under warranty. My dealer had it in stock about a month ago and the repair took about an hour.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Button is about the size of a 1/4" ball bearing.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Bad ignition switch

I sort had this trouble three times. Twice I could not turn the key on, but could remove the key. I had to be towed in both times and they replaced the ignition switch under warrenty. The third time I could not turn the car off and couldn't remove the key. This time I drove right to the dealer, they thought I was nuts, but when they tried they could not turn the car off. Than they brought one of repairman from the service area, and was very knowlegable, and the ignition switch has to be replaced. he said there has been quite a few like this, and it was the third one today. He also said that GM just redesign the switch to provent this problem. He even showed me the new and old switch togeather and how the differ. But this time I'm out of warrenty and it cost me $379. He also said there will be no recall since it hasn't reach critcal mass in term of numbers.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM

You could always open the area where the shifter is and remove the microswitch and either ty-wrap it closed or snip it out and connect the wires. The pin on the shifter is not coming out all the way and not making the switch. Just a suggestion. That is what I did.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

It's pretty bad if they even put it in the owners manual, because they figure it's going to happen...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM

My 09 SS with a touch over 50k miles did this to me today as I was returning from a dr. appt with my 9 mo old daughter. Luckily I had enough sense to know to pull the fuel pump relay and the ngative battery cable. (Coincidentally, I just put a battery in the day before.) I plan to try and tie wrap the microswitch closed. Who needs the interlock BS anyway? This is the second car I have had with the interlock and both gave me problems. I had a 91 Integra and wouldn't go into park intermittently. With it, if you had an extra key, there was a place on the console intended to let you place the shifter in neutral with the column locked. This would let you shift to park. This car had over 150k miles, so I wasn't too upset, but 50k? COME ON GM!

Last edited by steveshow; 02-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Just got back from pulling the shifter. It IS NOT the micro switch on the shifter. Time for plan B.

Quick Reply: Difficulty removing key from ignition switch