Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Difficulty removing key from ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM

A Good Question

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
anyone know if the micro-switch on the shifter energizes a solenoid?
I pulled my micro-switch last weekend due to a failed shift inter-lock. I pulled the micro-switch and zip-tied it CLOSED...but I worry if there's a solenoid that is energized by that micro-switch.
hate to hurt something else just by BY-PASSING SOME GM retardation.
If you remember from when your Shift Safety Interlock worked the shift lever button activated a relay/solenoid under the dash. Likewise when I push on the Brake I can feel and hear a relay/solenoid click from the shift lever.

I just tested mine (which still works properly) – when the vehicle is not in PARK I do not get the under dash click. So it maybe is OK. However, if anyone wants to work through the theory it would be best for confirmation.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM

I love my HHR, but my son has a Nissan Altima that has no ignition key - just a "start" button. The "key" fob has a folding emergency key for the driver's door, but that's about it as far as keys go. The vehicle will not start without the fob being inside the cabin, and you cannot lock the doors accidentally if the fob is in the cabin but the driver is not.

Not a new idea by any means - but a better one, by far, than ignition keys.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kornellred
I love my HHR, but my son has a Nissan Altima that has no ignition key - just a "start" button. The "key" fob has a folding emergency key for the driver's door, but that's about it as far as keys go. The vehicle will not start without the fob being inside the cabin, and you cannot lock the doors accidentally if the fob is in the cabin but the driver is not.

What happens if the battery in the fob goes dead? Can you still use that
"start" button. Just curious.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by kornellred
Not so sure of that. My friend has a 350Z which has the same push button start system and it failed on him because of a bad brake light switch. And apparently, it took the Nissan dealership a while to find it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM

After being on hold for a while, the CS rep said she would contac tthe dealer and get back to me with 48 hrs. 72 hrs later, I called hte rep back, lft a message, then called the next day, left another message. She finally called back hat afternoon and said that the dealer would be sending me a check for refund of half the cost of the repair. Not the ideal situation, but better than nothing. I told her I was not happy that I had called the service manager at Champion Chevrolet here in Austin twiceand he had never returned my call. I also told her that Feb 23rd the local newspaper had run an article from "The CarPro Show" touting GM's commitment to improve their customer service at the dealer level by working with customers whose vehicles wwere barely out of warranty. I found it ironic that I had to harrass them to get results.