Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 02:02 PM

Door issue

I might have overlooked it and this is already been answered here , so sorry in advance but ,

I have a 2011 and the passenger side back door will not open. Tried inside and out to no avail. Took it to mechanic and after he tried , he's now saying it's going to be around $ 130.00 for him to replace the latching mechanism. I'm somewhat capable of working on my vehicles ( problem is my job has me gone a bit ) and I was wondering if anyone has done this before and how "hard" is it ?

TIA

Randy
Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Technical Moderator

It is not difficult..... but, you may need an impact driver to get the screws out (they are cheap). The latch is not cheap. If that price includes parts, pay it!

Did the mechanic get the door open? Did he take the interior panel off and inspect the latch?
Old 01-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is not difficult..... but, you may need an impact driver to get the screws out (they are cheap). The latch is not cheap. If that price includes parts, pay it!

Did the mechanic get the door open? Did he take the interior panel off and inspect the latch?
130 just for part plus 70 an hour labor . He could not get the door open and he removed panel.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Can you feel the handle trying to operate the latch? More often the wire breaks.

I don't know how he proposes to replace the latch with the door closed. The screws are accessed from the outside.

You should be able to operate the latch from the inside, once the panel is off. Probably not easily. Might be better to go to a body shop or locksmith.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 PM

Can you feel the handle trying to operate the latch? More often the wire breaks.

I don't know how he proposes to replace the latch with the door closed. The screws are accessed from the outside.

You should be able to operate the latch from the inside, once the panel is off. Probably not easily. Might be better to go to a body shop or locksmith.
Latch doesn't feel like it's doing anything. Mechanic said cable wasnt broke , he said something about " busting" the latch from inside door to get it open ! ?
Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 AM

Here is a tsb that may help. Look at post 127 here https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-23231/page13/
Old 01-30-2016, 02:44 AM
geg

I became interested in this problem, and carefully considered the actuator device.
Only one thought came to my mind.
1. The need to pull the upper edge of the door trim. Using a flashlight to find the cable, buyout extends from the inside door handle to the actuator.
2. Try to grab the cable and pull it to the side of the hood. Hand not fit in the narrow gap, but perhaps a good long-nose pliers to help. Last year I replaced the inside door handle. I can testify that the cable will need to pull a good effort.

If the cable is cut off in the area of ​​attachment to the actuator. The hook of a rigid steel wire may be useful. It can advance along the detached cable and try to capture the bracket actuator.

The structure of the actuator I looked at ebey, also watched some videos on "how to open the broken door" and "replacing the actuator."

It is possible that my post will not be useful to you. It's just a hypothesis. But in any case - I wish you luck.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 AM

The mechanic said the reason this part is $130 is because he has to order it from GM dealer , it's not a aftermarket piece ? The thing is , same mechanic replaced drivers side back door latch fall of last year with a aftermarket and with parts , labor , taxes he charged me $ 110 .
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Technical Moderator

There is a difference between "latch" and "handle".
Old 01-30-2016, 11:05 AM

There is a difference between "latch" and "handle".
It's the part inside the door panel with the cable attached to it that opens the door. Not sure what the actual name is.

Quick Reply: Door issue