Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door lock stems not always going fully up/down

Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Door lock stems not always going fully up/down

Recently some of my door lock stems don't seem to be going all the way up or down when I lock or unlock the car. Yesterday I saw my driver's side door lock stem sticking up so I assumed the car was unlocked. So I opened the door and the alarm went off, indicating that I had locked it remotely but the lock stem didn't go all the way down. So far it has been happening with the driver's door and the passenger side rear door locks that are having this problem.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm way past warranty so I need to try and fix this myself. It's almost as if the servo motors are too weak to push or pull the stems. Unless there is something in the door that is binding them from moving. I was going to try lubrication next, but I don't want to have to open up the door unless I absolutely have to.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 AM

I had this issue, but the battery on my remote was dead, the knob was in the halfway position, and the key wouldn't budge it. This is when I discovered there is only 1 door with a key latch, and I had to call in the road service folks to open the door, which GM covered ( they could hav just popped the lock with Onstar, but I did not subscribe.)
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM

I thought ChevyMgr posted something about this issue not too long ago, not sure if it was a TSB or what..... there is some foam down in the shaft area that is causing this if I remeber correctly.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=150

See if that's the issue.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
ecl

Have this problem with my rear passenger door as well. It happens when I try to unlock it only no problem when locking. Suck when I go to unlock it either with the remote of the button on the door I have to unlock the doors twice to get that door unlocked. I to am out of warranty so if you find a fix let me know.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM

I'm thinking of squirting a tiny bit of WD-40 or white lithium grease into the lock opening.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM

We're pretty sure this has been discussed on other threads! Our driver side door did the same thing! We removed the knob and lifted the panel just past the rod. We then took a rat tail file and carefully reamed out the hole! Popped the cover back on and re-installed the knob No issues since!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM

It could be either the interior panel interference or a malfunctioning lock mechanism, mine had both. I think the best way to test it is to remove the interior door panel and try to operate the locks. If it still doesnt work right, then the locking mechanism might need to be replaced.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Or just remove the chrome plastic knob & test it..
Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Or just remove the chrome plastic knob & test it..
Do the knobs screw off?

I'm wondering why this would start happening after 43K miles on the vehicle? How could the interior panel just start interfering? Could it have shifted over time? Warped?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Ours started at about 25,000 miles! Do what "SLEEPER" said though and just un-screw the knob and test ! If still stuck it's a mechanism issue !

(P.S. We used a rat tail file and just kinda gently screwed it into the hole "easily" to open it up slightly)!

Best-O-Luck ,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door lock stems not always going fully up/down