Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driver Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Driver Door Lock

I Picked up my 2009 SS a Couple of weeks ago and since I have picked it up it has locked me in the locked me in the car twice on ignition off and has not locked once using the Fob or the door switch. I am still able to manually unlock and lock the door but the power option has an intermitant problem.

I have also noticed that when the door unlocks that the knob boes not come all the way up there is still about an 1/8 inch of travel that I am able to pull the knob up after the doors unlock, however this again is only on the driver door. There is no additional travel on any other door when they unlock.

I have an appointment to get the problem looked at but I am learry b/c my previous car had inner door problems and the dealer did not reinstall the weater shield properly and broke several of the clips that held the panel to the door.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:19 PM

My drivers door locks doesnot alway lock but he others do. It happens using the fob, power door lock inside, and when putting into drive. I can push the knob down and it will lock.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Founding Member

The reason they don't pop all the way up is the hole for the lock knob is not cut correctly. We have been removing the panel an enlarging the hole. This seems to be a 2009 problem on drivers door panels only but could happen on 2008's too.

What sucks is the lock knobs are on so tight that they can't be simply unscrewed which would be easier than removing the entire door panel to modify the hole.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ivtech
My drivers door locks doesnot alway lock but he others do. It happens using the fob, power door lock inside, and when putting into drive. I can push the knob down and it will lock.
Yours might be a lock actuator.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The reason they don't pop all the way up is the hole for the lock knob is not cut correctly. We have been removing the panel an enlarging the hole. This seems to be a 2009 problem on drivers door panels only but could happen on 2008's too.

What sucks is the lock knobs are on so tight that they can't be simply unscrewed which would be easier than removing the entire door panel to modify the hole.
Sounds like the problem I have on my 08 SS.......I thinking I'll just live with it
as the solution could be a bigger problem.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by stranger
Sounds like the problem I have on my 08 SS.......I thinking I'll just live with it
as the solution could be a bigger problem.
The problem I have seen on 3 different 2009 HHRs is the area of the opening that would be towards the front of the car is not round like the rest of the hole. I really think that steady hands with an exacto knife could trim a mm or so off of that area to allow the knob to move freely up and down. Next one I see I will snap a picture and post.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks ChevyMgr, today I listen to the door while pressing the inside power lock button and I could hear something moving but the knob was not moving.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ivtech
Thanks ChevyMgr, today I listen to the door while pressing the inside power lock button and I could hear something moving but the knob was not moving.
I get the same thing. I can live with the car locking me in ot not locking when I walk away is not exceptable.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Door lock

my 08 will not open all the way also, but it seems to be only on very cold days... It sat at the dealer for five days and work perfect.....
I'll fix it myself...................
Old 11-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 41pontiac
my 08 will not open all the way also, but it seems to be only on very cold days... It sat at the dealer for five days and work perfect.....
I'll fix it myself...................
This REALLY fits my problem to the T! Forgot to mention in the other post 'bout the cold thing (crs moment). Still gonna live with it for now.

Quick Reply: Driver Door Lock